Avoiding Fructose In Fruits
If you have hereditary fructose intolerance, you’re likely already aware of it. In addition, you probably avoid fruits anyway, as people with the condition typically develop a distaste for fruits, fruit juices and other fructose-containing foods, according to Genetics Home Reference.
If you have the milder, non-hereditary fructose intolerance, your ability to include fruit in your diet will depend on a few factors:
- Your individual level of sensitivity
- The types of fruits you eat
- The other foods or lack of consumed with fruit
Not all people will react to fructose in the same way. You may be able to tolerate only a small amount, while another individual with the condition might tolerate a larger dose. It takes some experimentation to determine how much fruit, if any, can be a part of your diet.
These fruits contain more glucose, another sugar found in fruit that helps provide energy. For example, a mango and a banana have the same amount of fructose, but the banana contains more glucose, therefore it causes fewer digestive problems.
UVA recommends avoiding any fruits that are not listed above. In addition, you will also likely need to avoid dried fruits, fruit juices, juice concentrates, syrups made from fruits, fruit juices, jams and jellies and canned fruit in heavy syrup.
Sudden And Severe Onset Stomach Pain
When mid-abdominal pain occurs suddenly especially in people with a history of peptic ulcer disease or in those who take excessive amounts of aspirin or NSAIDs it may be a sign of a perforation that could require emergency surgery. A tear could leak air and gastric content which can lead to a condition called peritonitis, and eventually, septic shock. Surgery would be required to seal the perforation.
Are Cramps In Pregnancy Normal
Its completely understandable to worry about stomach pain in pregnancy and be anxious about this being a sign of miscarriage. But stomach pains or cramps are common in pregnancy and usually nothing to worry about.
Mild stomach pain in early pregnancy is usually caused by your womb expanding, the ligaments stretching as your bump grows, hormones constipation or trapped wind. It may sometimes feel like a stitch or mild period pain. Its is probably nothing to worry about if the pain is mild and goes away when you change position, have a rest, do a poo or pass wind.
You may also feel light period-like discomfort or cramps at the end of your pregnancy. This is nothing to worry about, but call your midwife if you have any concerns.
Also Check: Pregnant Belly Symptoms
Home Remedies For Stomach Pain After Eating
The reasons for experiencing stomach pain after eating range from food allergies to pelvic inflammatory disease and many things in between. While it may not be as easy to determine exactly why you experience pain after eating, treating the pain with simple yet effective home remedies can dramatically decrease the pain and help you ease any bloating, cramping, constipation or diarrhea.
In addition to going on an elimination diet that will help you eventually identify the culprit, youre probably looking for relief a bit faster. There are multiple home remedies you can use to relieve the discomfort and pain quickly. We recommend that you try one at a time when you experience stomach pain after eating so that you can properly identify which remedy works best for you.
For issues that are uncomplicated and not life threatening, these home remedies can help you find relief without having to take over the counter medicine.
If your stomach pain includes nausea or vomiting, please contact a medical professional.
How Do You Get Rid Of A Stomach Ache In 5 Minutes
Over the counter medical treatment
- For gas-related pain, OTC medication like Mylanta, Gas-X can help get rid of gas and bloating.
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease can cause stomach ache and burning sensation , an antacid or acid reducer like Pepcid AC or Zantac 75 can help.
- For constipation, a mild OTC stool softener or laxative can help relieve constipation in most cases.
- Abdominal cramps can occur due to diarrhea. Medicines like Pepto-Bismol, which contain loperamide or bismuth subsalicylate, can help reduce diarrhea and cramps.
- Pain relievers, such as Paracetamol, Ibuprofen, can help reduce the abdominal pain and the pain of cramps caused due to several conditions. It may be combined with anti-cramping medications.
Lifestyle and home remedies:
Eating foods that have anti-inflammatory properties can reduce abdominal pain. These foods include blueberries, squash, cherries, capsicum, tomatoes, cold-water fish that are high in omega-3 fatty acids, beans, green leafy vegetables, and almonds. These foods also improve overall body health. It’s advised to incorporate these foods in the diet throughout the year, instead of just during the periods. Sugary food, fried and fatty foods, white bread or pasta, alcohol, caffeine, and tobacco can increase cramps.
Herbs to reduce cramps:
You May Like: Can Blueberries Cause Stomach Pain
When To Seek Immediate Medical Attention
Get medical help immediately if:
- You have abdominal pain that is very sharp, severe, and sudden.
- You also have pain in the chest, neck, or shoulder.
- Youre vomiting blood, have bloody diarrhea, or have black, tarry stools
- You have a high fever.
- Youre having difficulty breathing.
- You develop consistent nausea and/or vomiting.
- Your abdomen is stiff, hard, and tender to the touch.
- You cant move your bowels, especially if youre also vomiting
What Is Abdominal Pain Symptoms Causes Diagnosis Treatment And Prevention
Most people experience abdominal discomfort or pain at some point in their lives. Abdominal pain is usually felt in the part of the trunk below the ribs, above the pelvis and the groin. It can range in intensity from a mild ache to severe, disabling pain.
While abdominal pain isnt normal, it isnt necessarily serious, and it often resolves itself.
You May Like: Tightness In Stomach Early Pregnancy
What Relieves Bloating And Gas Fast
To relieve bloating and gas quickly, you can take an enzyme supplement containing alpha-galactosidase after meals.
This particular enzyme helps break down hard-to-digest carbohydrates, so they do not lead to excess gas production.
You can also try a probiotic supplement that contains Bifidobacterium lactis, which helps to reduce gas and bloat.
Drinking ginger tea is another effective way to get rid of excess air in your stomach.
Recommended Reading: Broken Wrist Symptoms Pictures
You Got Into The Bag Of Sugar Free Candies
Sugar free candies may seem like a good idea, especially if you are trying to cut back on sugar while still getting to enjoy the sweetness they provide. However, these candies are typically sweetened with a sugar alcohols like sorbitol which is notorious for causing bloating, cramping and yes, even rampant diarrhea.
Recommended Reading: How Long Does Sciatica Pain Last
When Should I Report Stomach Pain In Pregnancy
Stomach pain can be very worrying for pregnant women. Pain can make you fear the worst, such as a miscarriage. Its important to listen to your own instincts. If you are worried about any pains youre having, or you just feel like something is wrong, contact your midwife. Dont be concerned about wasting anyones time. Its always best to get things checked out.
If you are having persistent stomach pain or cramping, or if the pain comes on suddenly it should be checked by a doctor or midwife immediately.
Using Alcoholic Bitters To Relieve Stomach Pain
You may raise an eyebrow, but did you know that alcoholic bitters can naturally relieve stomach pain?
Many common brands of bitters contain a mix of mint, ginger, cinnamon, and fennel, all of which are known to help ease stomach pain in one form or another. Five to six drops in a glass of club soda or ginger ale might surprise you.
Read Also: Can Blueberries Cause Stomach Pain
Are There Foods That Reduce Stomach Pain
Anxiety-related stomach pain is not usually the result of your diet , so there arent necessarily any dietary changes that can help reduce stomach pain.
That said, those with panic attacks are more prone to experiencing more severe stomach discomfort, even when no anxiety is present. In other words, when you have panic attacks, its possible to have stomach pain even without a panic attack.
Also, those with anxiety attacks and severe anxiety are prone to whats known as over-sensitization. That means that they are more likely to notice and feel smaller, normal changes in the body, and these can trigger an anxiety attack. So if your diet does contain foods that cause you gas, stomach discomfort, or mild indigestion, it may be best to avoid them because the slight amount of discomfort could feel worse than it should and may trigger a panic attack.
Thats why healthy eating is important in those that get stomach pain with anxiety. Make sure youre getting:
- Whole-Grain Carbohydrates
Also, if you suffer from stress-induced hyperacidity, then it is recommended that you consume dairy products and non-spicy foods. In moderate amounts, over-the-counter antacids may be needed as well.
In addition, if possible, try to avoid eating until youre too full. Those with severe anxiety sometimes interpret the full feeling as pain, and this could trigger a panic attack and further pain.
Stomach Pain Bloating Burning And Other Signs Of Gastritis
Potential signs and symptoms of alcoholic gastritis include:
- Upper abdominal pain, ranging from a burning ache to stabbing pain.
- Nausea and vomiting.
- Bloated or full feeling in the abdomen.
- Regurgitation of food.
In individuals with alcohol associated gastritis, in contrast to those cases with some other causes, the symptoms may be felt only after an evening of binge drinking or, alternately, might present as a more chronic problem for individuals who engage in regular, heavy drinking. The symptoms may also flare up between meals and, depending on the location/extent of mucosal inflammation, can either be helped or worsened when eating, depending on the food.
Don’t Miss: Is Heat Or Ice Good For Nerve Pain
Causes Of Recurrent Stomach Pains
- Stress or Worries. The most common cause of frequent stomach pains is stress. Over 10% of children have a “worried stomach.” These children tend to be sensitive and too serious. They often are model children. This can make them more at risk to the normal stresses of life. Examples of these events are changing schools, moving or family fights. The pain is in the pit of the stomach or near the belly button. The pain is real.
- Abdominal Migraine. Attacks of stomach pain and vomiting with sudden onset and offset. Often occur in children who later develop migraine headaches. Strongly genetic.
- Functional Abdominal Pains. Functional means the stomach pains are due to a sensitive GI tract. The GI tract is free of any disease.
- School Avoidance. Stomach pains that mainly occur in the morning on school days. They keep the child from going to school.
How Can I Feel Better
Most bellyaches don’t have a serious cause. They can happen for many different reasons, but most are easy to treat.
If stress or anxiety seem to be behind the pain, the doctor may recommend that you talk to a counselor or therapist. They help people figure out what’s behind their stress and give advice on how to fix problems or handle them better.
You May Like: How To Fake A Broken Arm
How To Prevent Abdominal Pain
Abdominal pain might not always be preventable. However, you can encourage your child to follow these precautions to minimize the risks of certain conditions that lead to stomachache .
- Stay hydrated, and drink plenty of water in a day.
- Eat small and frequent meals.
- Be physically active and do age-appropriate exercises regularly.
- Avoid consumption of food items that can cause indigestion or gas.
- Consume high-fiber and well-balanced diet. Include fruits, vegetables, and whole grains in all meals.
Abdominal pain can occur because of minor or serious problems. The causes of abdominal pain are numerous and present similar symptoms. Therefore, definite diagnosis of such pain can be difficult. Fortunately, most causes can be treated or managed at home. However, if your child experiences any severe symptoms, visit your healthcare practitioner.
Have any useful experiences to share on abdominal pain in teenagers? Share with us by leaving a comment in the section below.
Symptoms Of Abdominal Pain In Adults
The type of pain can vary greatly. When abdominal pain occurs, it can:
- be sharp, dull, stabbing, cramp-like, twisting or fit many other descriptions
- be brief, come and go in waves, or it can be constant
- make you throw up
- make you want to stay still or make you so restless that you pace around trying to find just the right position
- vary from a minor problem to one needing urgent surgery.
Also Check: Can Belly Fat Cause Stomach Pain
What To Expect At Your Office Visit
Your provider will perform a physical exam and ask about your symptoms and medical history. Your specific symptoms, the location of pain and when it occurs will help your provider detect the cause.
LOCATION OF YOUR PAIN
- Where do you feel the pain?
- Is it all over or in one spot?
- Does the pain move into your back, groin, or down your legs?
TYPE AND INTENSITY OF YOUR PAIN
- Is the pain severe, sharp, or cramping?
- Do you have it all the time, or does it come and go?
- Does the pain wake you up at night?
HISTORY OF YOUR PAIN
- Have you had similar pain in the past? How long has each episode lasted?
- When does the pain occur? For example, after meals or during menstruation?
- What makes the pain worse? For example, eating, stress, or lying down?
- What makes the pain better? For example, drinking milk, having a bowel movement, or taking an antacid?
- What medicines are you taking?
OTHER MEDICAL HISTORY
- Have you had a recent injury?
- Are you pregnant?
What Other Symptoms Of Covid
Abdominal pains are most likely to occur alongside other symptoms. Itâs important to be aware that when clustered with a lot of other symptoms, particularly diarrhoea and shortness of breath, abdominal pains were associated with a higher risk of needing hospital support, especially in older people.
In milder cases, abdominal pains usually appear alongside headaches and fatigue. They also tend to occur with a loss of smell and unusual muscle pains in adults. Abdominal pains can also sometimes happen alongside fever, a sore throat, and skipping meals across all age groups.
Read Also: Sore Stomach While Pregnant
Chamomile Tea To Cure Stomach Pain
Chamomile tea is known to work as an anti-inflammatory along the digestive tract.
If your stomach pain is caused by gastritis or indigestion, a cup of chamomile can offer relief. It does this by relaxing muscles along the stomach and the esophagus, easing the contractions that push food along, and lessens any cramps or spasms you are experiencing.
- Place one teaspoon of dried chamomile in one cup of boiled water.
- Cover and allow to steep for 15 minutes.
- Strain tea and add lemon or honey for taste.
- Drink up to three cups daily
Stomach Pain And Long
Because of the extra acid in your stomach and the changes to the way your body processes nutrients, the stomach pain from anxiety can be a problem if left untreated. Ulcers are just one example. Some people experience heartburn from anxiety, and others eat less often, giving their body fewer nutrients.
The stomach pain from anxiety and stress is rarely dangerous, but it is still important to treat it, because the effects on your long-term health when it is left untreated may be harder to manage.
Don’t Miss: How To Tell If I Sprained My Wrist
When Stomach Pain Is An Emergency
Stomach pain can be caused by a life-threatening condition, such as appendicitis, bowel obstruction , or a bowel perforation .
These emergencies usually cause very noticeable and often intolerable signs and symptoms. Your stomach pain is probably a sign of an urgent medical problem if:
- You are pregnant
- Your pain started within a week of having abdominal surgery or a gastrointestinal procedure
- You have ever had a gastric bypass, a colostomy, or a bowel resection
- Your pain started shortly after you experienced severe abdominal trauma
- Your abdomen appears bruised or is rapidly expanding in size
Your stomach pain may be mild in the beginning, and then you may develop associated symptoms after a few hours. You should get help immediately if you develop any of the following symptoms along with your stomach pain:
- Abdomen is extremely hard
- Inability to have a bowel movement accompanied by vomiting
- Pain in neck, shoulder or between shoulder blades
- Vision changes
Using Apple Cider Vinegar As A Stomachache Cure
Another paradoxical-sounding remedy is using acidic drinks to relieve pain from gastric reflux. Since gastric reflux can result in stomach acid leaking out into places its not wanted, your stomachs acidity can end up lower than is optimal for digesting food.
Drinking apple cider vinegar can help improve the levels and ease an upset stomach. This assumes that youre able to, well, stomach the drink in the first place. While apple cider vinegar does its work best if taken raw, you may find mixing it with water, a teaspoon of honey, and sipping slowly to be the more tolerable option.
- Add one tablespoon of apple cider vinegar to one cup of warm water.
- Mix in one tablespoon of honey.
- Drink this remedy every three hours until pain is gone.
Don’t Miss: Heating Pad For Sciatica Pain