Ergonomic Changes At Work And Home
From uncomfortable desk chairs at the office to too-comfortable sofas at home, our bodies get used to feeling at ease in our surroundings, even if that means poor posture.
Speak to your human resources or employee assistance program to see if they offer a complimentary ergonomic assessment for workers. Review our tips for relieving pain from mouse shoulder as well.
If your neck and shoulder pain is caused by poor posture, try these posture stretches from Harvard Health to relieve the aches that come from too much screen time whether youre on the go or in your living room.
What Are The Causes
Neck pain can result from injury, poor posture, stress, natural wear, disease, and other sources. Poor spinal alignment and improper lifting stress the cervical spine and make injuries more likely. Neck pain can result from:
- Injury or trauma: A whiplash injury, sports injury, or fall can strain or tear muscles and ligaments. Fractures can occur.
- Bulging or herniated disc: The gel-like center of a spinal disc can bulge or rupture through a weak area in the wall and compress nerves.
- Pinched nerve: Compression of a spinal nerve as it leaves the canal can cause pain to travel down the arm into the hands or fingers. Pinched nerve pain differs from carpal tunnel syndrome, which usually involve numbness.
- Osteoarthritis : As discs naturally age they dry out and shrink bone spurs can form. These changes lead to stenosis or disc herniation.
- Stenosis: Narrowing of the bony canals in the spine can compress the cord and nerves, causing them to swell and inflame.
How Is Neck Pain Diagnosed
Doctors diagnose neck pain with a physical exam and medical history. Your doctor will feel and move your neck to locate pain and find motion problems. Doctors also check your muscle strength and reflexes. Your doctor will ask about previous neck injuries that might have caused whiplash or a herniated disc. Your doctor may ask about work or other activities that could affect your neck.
To diagnose the cause of the pain, your doctor may use imaging tests such as X-ray, magnetic resonance imaging or computed tomography . These tests can show damage and other issues in the bones and surrounding tissues in your neck.
Other tests that your doctor may order include: electromyography, nerve conduction studies, myelogram and/or nerve root block. These tests look more closely at the discs in the spine, the spine itself, check the function of nerves and muscle response and source of the pain.
What Is Your Sternocleidomastoid
Sternocleidomastoid is the most superficial and largest muscle in the front portion of the neck. It is also known as SCM or Sternomastoid or Sterno muscle. The name has the origin of the Latin words: sternon = chest cleido = clavicle and the Greek words: mastos = breast and eidos = shape, form.
What is the muscle on your shoulder called?
Trapezius: The trapezius is a large triangular muscle at the back of your shoulder. It helps you lift and lower your shoulder. Deltoid: The deltoid muscle is on the outside of your shoulder. It helps you move your arm forward, backward and to the side.
What Are The Possible Causes Of Neck Pain
Many different medical issues and injuries can cause neck pain. Conditions that may cause neck pain include:
- Aging: Degenerative conditions such as osteoarthritis and spinal stenosis can lead to neck pain as you age. Over time, stress and motion can lead to spinal disc degeneration, causing a herniated disc or pinched nerve.
- Injury: Trauma from sudden forced movement of the neck or head and rebound in the opposite direction can cause pain and soreness. The muscles, ligaments, discs, vertebral joints and nerve roots in the spine cord in the neck can be affected in trauma injuries.
- Mental stress: Tightening your neck muscles due to tension commonly causes neck pain and stiffness.
- Physical strain: Overusing your neck muscles during repetitive actions or strenuous activities can lead to stiffness and pain.
- Conditions that affect spinal balance: Poor posture , being overweight, weak abdominal muscles can all affect spine posture and contribute to neck pain.
- Growths: In rare cases, masses including tumors, cysts and bone spurs can cause neck pain.
- Other health conditions:Meningitis, rheumatoid arthritis, cancer.
Also Check: Joint Space Narrowing Knee
What Is The Most Superficial Muscle Of The Neck
The sternocleidomastoid muscle starts at the base of your skull and runs along both sides of the neck. After the platysma, its the most superficial neck muscle and is also one of the biggest.
Why does the area between my neck and shoulder hurt?
Causes of neck and shoulder pain Poor posture, muscle imbalances, weakness and misalignments. Muscle strains. Rotator cuff strains. Osteoarthritis.
Pain In Neck And Shoulder Radiating Down Arm Other Causes
If you know that you had a fall, that could be the reason for the pain you feel. In such circumstances, you can use the available solutions and find your way to receive medical help.
However, if you didnt injure yourself, the problem will need addressing as it could get worse.
You need to know about some other conditions before concluding what may be wrong keep reading for more about the neck, shoulder, and arm pain you are feeling.
Read Also: What Does It Feel Like To Cut Your Wrists
Symptoms Of Muscle Leg & Shoulder Pain
Musculoskeletal pain is a common ailment. Muscle, shoulder and leg discomfort are associated with a variety of conditions that range from the most benign, such as muscle overuse and inflammation, to morbidities like polymyalgias, systemic lupus erythematous and vascular abnormalities, notes the book, “Cleveland Clinic: Current Clinical Medicine.”
When The Shoulder Is The Suspect
Shoulder pain is most often caused by an injury to the rotator cuff, a group of tendons and muscles that stabilize the joint. The rotator cuff develops wear and tear with age, and can be easily injured. When this happens, we compensate by using different muscles to pick things up or reach for them. This may cause both shoulder and neck pain, says Dr. Ricchetti. You may have a rotator cuff injury or other shoulder problem if pain:
- Develops in the shoulder itself or on the outside of your upper arm.
- Is dull and aching.
- Improves when you rest your arm.
Also Check: Does Slitting Your Wrists Hurt
What Is The Prognosis For Shoulder And Neck Pain
Because most neck and shoulder pain is caused by sprains and strains, you can expect a full recovery or to recover with minor limitations on your activities.
Some conditions require hospitalization, surgical repair, physical therapy, or other rehabilitative measures. The extent of recovery may be complete or limited. Some conditions can be recurrent or persistent thus, you should have a treatment plan to learn how to deal with and adapt to any limitations.
Shoulder Tendinitis Or Bursitis
Tendons are strong fibers that attach muscles to your bone. Bursa are fluid-filled sacs that prevent friction at joints.
Inflammation of the tendons and the bursa are common causes of shoulder pain, but pain can occur anywhere that inflammation occurs.
The tendons and bursa around your rotator cuff are especially prone to inflammation that causes pain and stiffness around your shoulder.
Recommended Reading: How To Fake Break Your Arm
What Causes Neck And Shoulder Pain To Occur Together
The human spine is divided into three major sections: the lumbar spine , thoracic spine and cervical spine . Neck pain is usually associated with issues of the cervical spine, and sometimes shoulder pain can be associated with them as well.
Most often, shoulder and neck pain occur together due to their proximity to one another. An issue causing pain in the neck can spread to other parts of the body, including the shoulders, and vice versa.
Most Common Causes Of Chronic Neck Pain
The most common causes of chronic neck pain are muscle strain and nerve compression. Depending on the symptoms youre experiencing, it can be difficult to tell which of these is occurring. Most muscle strain comes from activities that place a lot of uneven strain on one side of your neck. Repetitive lifting is a common cause of muscle strain around the neck, especially if the loads are heavy or if youre using one side of your body to tote heavy loads, like carrying a heavy bag over one shoulder. Sleeping in a weird position or having a pillow that doesnt provide adequate support can also cause muscle strain in your neck.
Nerve compression occurs when one of the nerves around the neck gets pinched or pressed as it leaves your upper spine . When the nerves exit the cervical spine, they travel through your shoulders and down into your arms and hands. If a disc in your cervical spine slips out of place or if the tissues in your neck get swollen and inflamed, the nerves in that area can get squeezed. And that means you can have pain and other symptoms in your neck and anywhere along the path of that nerve.
Read Also: Naproxen Stiff Neck
When Should I Call My Healthcare Provider
See your healthcare provider if you have:
- Loss of bladder or bowel control with weakness in either leg. These symptoms need attention right away.
- Severe back or neck pain that does not decrease with medicine and rest
- Pain after an injury or a fall
- Weakness, numbness, or tingling in your legs or arms
- Fever of 100.4°F or higher, or as advised by your healthcare provider
- Unintentional weight loss
Nerve And Vascular Pain
The muscle of your neck can also be an indication that you are experiencing nerve and vascular pain. Most chronic nerve and muscle conditions can come from an interruption in the blood flow. People with vascular pain usually have coronary disease, ischemia, circulatory system problems, and vasculitis or inflammation of blood vessels.
Also Check: Do Blueberries Make You Constipated
Common Causes Of Shoulder Pain
One of the most common causes of shoulder pain is an injury to the rotator cuff, a group of tendons and muscles that stabilize the shoulder joint. When the rotator becomes damaged, it causes the body to compensate and use other muscle groups in the shoulder to lift, push or pull objects. This compensation can strain to the muscles and result in pain in the area from the top of the shoulder into the neck.
Some of the telltale signs of a rotator cuff tear are:
- Pain that is more persistent at night
- Pain that does not extend past the elbow
- Pain when raising the arm or extending the arm behind your head
- Strains from overexertion, tendonitis from overuse, shoulder joint instability, dislocation and frozen shoulder are among the many other causes of shoulder pain.
When The Neck Is The Likely Culprit
Inflammation of any of the 14 nerves or eight pairs of joints in the neck can cause neck pain. The joints or vertebrae serve as a hinge that lets us nod or shake our heads during conversation . In fact, up to 70% of 65-year-olds may have symptomatic arthritis in one or more neck joints.
Because pain in one area can so often be confused with another, a thorough exam must be done, including range of motion, strength testing and provocative neck and shoulder maneuvers, says Dr. Ricchetti. You may have arthritis or nerve-related neck pain if pain:
- Radiates to your shoulder blade, or close to or on the side of your neck.
- Electric-like, stabbing, burning or tingling.
- Radiates down past your elbow or even into your hand.
- Persists at rest.
- Radiates down your arm when you extend or twist your neck.
- Is relieved when you support your neck.
Its important to see a specialist to get a thorough physical examination of your neck and shoulder. To help with diagnosis, they may inject lidocaine into the shoulder, or the joints or nerves of the neck. This diagnostic test helps guide treatment if it relieves pain, it demonstrates where the problems are, explains Dr. Ricchetti. Whether the problem lies in your neck or your shoulder, conservative measures are usually tried first.
Recommended Reading: Can Blueberries Upset Your Stomach
What Is The Outlook For Pain In The Right Side Of The Neck
Experiencing pain on the right side of your neck is not unusual and most likely not something to be concerned about. Neck pain often will go away on its own after a few days or weeks, particularly if you engage in self-care treatments and do not strain your neck further.
Severe neck pain that occurs after an accident or seemingly out of nowhere should be seen by a doctor, as well as neck pain linked to other serious symptoms.
When To See A Doctor
If the knot in your neck doesnt go away or gets worse, make an appointment to see your doctor. If you dont already have a primary care provider, you can browse doctors in your area through the Healthline FindCare tool.
Also seek medical attention if you have a knot in your neck and:
- numbness or tingling in your limbs
- poor motor control
- pain that makes it hard to sleep
- persistent headaches
Don’t Miss: Is Stomach Pain A Sign Of Pregnancy
Shoulder And Neck Referred Pain
Because of the close connection of the nerves serving them, shoulder and neck pain are often mistaken for one another.
You may feel a pain in the shoulder thats actually coming from your neck, and vice versa. This is called referred pain.
Some of the symptoms of referred pain from your neck include:
- stabbing, burning, or electric-like tingling pain
- pain that radiates to your shoulder blade, elbow, and hand
- pain that radiates down your arm when you twist your neck
- pain thats relieved when you support your neck
What Are The Symptoms Of Back And Neck Pain
Symptoms linked to back pain may include:
- Dull, burning, or sharp pain in your back. The pain can be limited to a single spot or cover a large area.
- Leg numbness or tingling above or below your knee
- Stiffness or aching that occurs anywhere along your spine from your neck to your tailbone
- Sharp, shooting pain that spreads fromyour low back to your buttocks, down the back of your thigh, and into your calf and toes
- Consistent ache in the middle or lower part of your back, especially after standing or sitting for a long period
Loss of bladder and bowel control with weakness in both legs are symptoms of a serious condition that needs medical attention right away.
Symptoms linked to neck pain can be:
- Arm numbness or tingling
- Shoulder pain
- Sharp shooting pain or a dull ache in your neck
Pain that occurs suddenly in your back or neck from an injury is acute pain. Acute pain comes on quickly and may leave sooner than chronic back or neck pain. This type of pain should not last more than 6 weeks.
Pain that may come on quickly or slowly and lingers for 3 months or more is chronic pain. Chronic pain is less common than acute pain.
Read Also: How To Slit Your Wrists Correctly
How Are Neck And Shoulder Pain Diagnosed
- X-rays: Plain X-rays can reveal narrowing of the space between two spinal bones, arthritis-like diseases, tumors, slipped discs, narrowing of the spinal canal, fractures and instability of the spinal column.
- MRI: Magnetic resonance imaging is a noninvasive procedure that can reveal the detail of neural elements, as well as problems with the tendons and ligaments.
- Myelography/CT scanning: This is sometimes used as an alternative to MRI.
- Electrodiagnostic studies: Electromyography and nerve conduction velocity are sometimes used to diagnose neck and shoulder pain, arm pain, numbness and tingling.
Shoulder Muscle Pain Anatomy
Muscle muscles elbow actions contraction biceps flexion brachii supination shoulder forearm action movement bicep brachioradialis brachial flex function skeletal insertion. Common causes of back pain and neck pain. Fix your neck and shoulder pain (levator scapula, mid-scapular, and 1st shoulder muscle pain anatomy
Causes of Shoulder Pains – Chiropractor San Diego Dr. Steve Jones. 10 Pictures about Causes of Shoulder Pains – Chiropractor San Diego Dr. Steve Jones : Causes of Shoulder Pains – Chiropractor San Diego Dr. Steve Jones, FIX YOUR NECK AND SHOULDER PAIN (Levator Scapula, Mid-Scapular, and 1st and also Pin on Tennis Injuries.
You May Like: Lower Abdomen Pain In Early Pregnancy
Muscles Of The Face And Neck: Why Are They Essential
The primary function of the muscles of the face and neck is to support the bones that make up the face and necks anatomy. What helps people show a facial expression? Among the vast number of muscles in the body, there are muscle groups that make us smile, help in chewing, laugh, open our eyes, and even breathe. Damage in the muscles like orbicularis oculi, zygomaticus major, and other important muscles and nerves in the face can have risks. An emergency needs urgent care to prevent further complications. Moreover, episodic tensions in the bodys muscles may lead to chronic painful diseases if not treated as soon as possible.
Repetitive Strain Injury Of The Shoulder
Repetitive strain injury of the shoulder is caused by consistent repetitive use.
Top Symptoms: shoulder pain from overuse, shoulder weakness, shoulder numbness
Symptoms that always occur with repetitive strain injury of the shoulder : shoulder pain from overuse
Symptoms that never occur with repetitive strain injury of the shoulder : severe shoulder pain, shoulder injury
Pain In Both Shoulders Symptom Checker
Don’t Miss: Why Do People Cut Wrists