How Much Gabapentin Should I Take
Only take what has been prescribed.
This drug is prescribed for people with seizures along with other drugs. It is also effective against nerve pain.
The medication is most effective when maintained at a constant level within the body, its important to take the medication as prescribed and at regular intervals to maintain its efficacy.
Under no circumstances let twelve hours elapse between taking the medication, this renders the medication ineffective until you have built up the correct level again.
Gabapentin comes in different forms and may look the same to you, the differences are to do with how Gabapentin is released into your bloodstream.
It is important not to interchange the medication unless you have the consent of your doctor.
Your doctor may instruct you to split the tablets to get the correct dose, if you have not taken the other half of the tablet within seven day discard the tablet to maintain the potency of the drug.
Gabapentin may be introduced into your system gradually with your doctor increasing the dose as your symptoms may require.
Are Lyrica Or Gabapentin Safe To Take If I Am Pregnant Or Breastfeeding
- There are no adequate studies of Lyrica in pregnant women.
- It is not known whether Lyrica is excreted in breast milk.
- Doctors do not know the safety of gabapentin during pregnancy.
- Gabapentin is secreted in human breast milk therefore, if you are pregnant you should only use this medication if the benefits outweigh the unknown risk to the fetus.
How Long Does Gabapentin Take To Work For Nerve Pain
The human body absorbs gabapentin moderately fast. It has a half-life of around five to eight hours. It means that half of the drug administered gets out of the body in five to eight hours. Now, the onset of gabapentin varies from person to person. Generally speaking, it takes around half to one week for gabapentin to work. However, for some people, it may take longer for the pain to go away.
So, if youre suffering from nerve pain, diabetic neuropathy, postherpetic neuralgia, sciatica, or anxiety, then you can expect to feel better within a few days of gabapentin administration.
You May Like: Can Vomiting Cause Neck Pain
What If I Take Too Much
Taking too much gabapentin by accident can cause unpleasant side effects.
Urgent advice: Call your doctor or go to A& E straight away if:
You take too much gabapentin and:
- you feel dizzy or sleepy
- you see double
- you start slurring your words
- you have diarrhoea
- you pass out
If you need to go to hospital, take the gabapentin packet or leaflet inside it, plus any remaining medicine, with you.
Types Of Pain: Nociceptive Vs Neuropathic
- Nociceptive pain comes from damaged tissues outside the nervous system, such as muscles and joints. People say the pain feels aching and throbbing.
- Neuropathic pain comes from the nerves that transmit pain signals from the body to the brain. People describe the pain as burning, stinging, or shooting. It may radiate from one area of the body to another. It may be accompanied by numbness and tingling.
Doctors usually try one type or the other , although they can be combined. They are taken daily in addition to conventional pain relievers.
Recommended Reading: Does Lidocaine Work For Nerve Pain
How Long Do You Take Gabapentin
My wife got a Rx for Gabapentin yesterday to deal with chronic pain affecting her lower right leg below the knee. They couldnt find anything obviously wrong and I guess that in those situations they fall back on Gabapentin. The instructions simply said take as needed and I am somewhat sceptical of this as its my understanding that Gabapentin is not like an analgesic which you do take on an as needed basis. I thought that for Gabapentin, once you start the meds, you continue at least until the meds is finished. She was given a one month supply.
, this is really a question for your wife’s doctor and/or pharmacist. Mayo Clinic’s information states: “Take this medicine only as directed by your doctor. Do not take more of it, do not take it more often, and do not take it for a longer time than your doctor ordered. The dose of this medicine will be different for different patients. Also, the number of doses you take each day, the time allowed between doses, and the length of time you take the medicine depend on the medical problem for which you are using the medicine.”
Some people take Gabpentin for epilepsy, neuropathy, postherpetic neuralgia and other conditions, so the frequency, dosage and length of time will be different for everyone. Are you able to contact your wife’s doctor to clarify?
Yes we can so we will do that thanks !
In Which Forms Are Gabapentin Available
Gabapentin is commercially available in different forms like tablets, capsules, liquid solutions, etc. For the treatment of nerve pain or epilepsy, the drug is to be taken at regular intervals.
But for the treatment of restless leg syndrome, the physicians generally prescribe the extended-release formulation. In this case, if you ask gabapentin for nerve pain how long does it take to work, the answer will be it takes time.
Also Check: Wrist Pain Symptoms Checker
What If I Forget To Take It
If you forget a dose, take it as soon as you remember.
If it’s within 2 hours of the next dose, it’s better to leave out the missed dose and take your next dose as normal.
Never take 2 doses at the same time. Never take an extra dose to make up for a forgotten one.
If you have epilepsy, it’s important to take this medicine regularly. Missing doses may trigger a seizure.
If you forget doses often, it may help to set an alarm to remind you.
You could also ask your pharmacist for advice on other ways to help you remember to take your medicine.
What Happens When You Take Gabapentin In Your Legs
Before taking gabapentin I had difficulty walking and getting a good nights sleep. I would constantly get shooting pains up and down my legs, as well as both feet. In just a few days after beginning taking gabapentin, the majority of the shooting pain in the legs subsided. The pain in the feet is more tolerable as well.
Recommended Reading: Can Blueberries Cause Stomach Pain
Gabapentin May Cause Side Effects Tell Your Doctor If Any Of These Symptoms Are Severe Or Do Not Go Away:
- uncontrollable shaking of a part of your body
- double or blurred vision
- swelling of the hands, feet, ankles, or lower legs
- back or joint pain
- difficulty breathing bluish-tinged skin, lips, or fingernails confusion or extreme sleepiness
Gabapentin may cause other side effects. Call your doctor if you have any unusual problems while taking this medication.
If you experience a serious side effect, you or your doctor may send a report to the Food and Drug Administration’s MedWatch Adverse Event Reporting program online or by phone .
What Other Information Should I Know
Keep all appointments with your doctor.
Before having any laboratory test, tell your doctor and the laboratory personnel that you are taking gabapentin.
If you use a dipstick to test your urine for protein, ask your doctor which product you should use while taking this medication.
Do not let anyone else take your medication. Ask your pharmacist any questions you have about refilling your prescription.
It is important for you to keep a written list of all of the prescription and nonprescription medicines you are taking, as well as any products such as vitamins, minerals, or other dietary supplements. You should bring this list with you each time you visit a doctor or if you are admitted to a hospital. It is also important information to carry with you in case of emergencies.
You May Like: Can Blueberries Cause Stomach Pain
What Other Drugs Will Affect Gabapentin
Using gabapentin with other drugs that make you drowsy or slow your breathing can cause dangerous side effects or death. Ask your doctor before using opioid medication, a sleeping pill, cold or allergy medicine, a muscle relaxer, or medicine for anxiety or seizures.
other drugs may interact with gabapentin, including prescription and over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products. Tell your doctor about all your current medicines and any medicine you start or stop using.
How Do I Stop Taking Gabapentin
Gabapentin should not be stopped unless directed by a physician. Patients may experience withdrawal symptoms, such as agitation, anxiety, restlessness, nausea, and flu-like symptoms, if gabapentin is abruptly discontinued after taking it for longer than six weeks. If gabapentin is being taken to prevent seizures, abrupt discontinuation of the drug may cause severe seizures. When its time to stop taking gabapentin, your doctor may gradually taper your dose across seven days.
Seek immediate medical attention if you experience serious side effects such as mood or behavioral changes, suicidal thoughts, breathing problems, or signs of a hypersensitivity reaction such as hives, difficulty breathing, swollen glands, or fever.
Don’t Miss: Lidocaine Cream For Muscle Pain
Measuring And Timing Your Doses
Dosage For Postherpetic Neuralgia
- Typical starting dosage: Day 1, 300 mg day 2, 600 mg day 3, 900 mg . Your doctor may further increase your dosage after day 3.
- Maximum dosage: 1,800 mg per day
Dosage for people younger than 18 years has not been established.
Your kidney function may decrease with age. Your body may get rid of this drug more slowly. Your doctor may start you on a lower dose so that too much of this drug does not build up in your body. Too much of the drug in your body can be dangerous. Your doctor may change your dose based on how well your kidneys are working.
Recommended Reading: Can Sciatica Cause Abdominal Pain
Are There Natural Gabapentin Alternatives
There are no natural remedies available if youre taking Gabapentin for seizures. But thats not the case with neuropathic pain. Numerous natural remedies are used as alternatives or sometimes adopted alongside pain medications to relieve neuropathic pain. And the best thing? No harmful side effects of these gabapentin alternatives.
Problems With Dizziness And Drowsiness
This is quite common when you start taking gabapentin. Up to 1 in 3 people experience dizziness or drowsiness.
- Be careful when driving or using tools until you know how this medicine affects you.
- Also be careful when getting up from either lying down or sitting. The loss of balance and dizziness can put you at risk of falls and injuries, especially if you are elderly.
- Avoid drinking alcohol while you are taking gabapentin. This can make dizziness and drowsiness worse.
Tell your doctor if these side effects are causing difficulties. You may need a lower dose.
You May Like: Severe Joint Pain Causes
What Else Do I Need To Know About Gabapentin
Never stop taking gabapentin without talking to your healthcare provider first. Stopping gabapentin suddenly can cause serious problems, including increasing your risk of seizures or not improving your symptoms . Also, never change your dose without talking to your provider first. Always take gabapentin exactly as prescribed.
Dont drive, operate heavy machinery or do other dangerous activities after taking gabapentin until you know how it affects you.
Read the full prescription information leaflet that comes with your medication. Never hesitate to ask your healthcare provider or pharmacist if you have any questions about gabapentin.
Who Can And Cannot Take Gabapentin
Gabapentin can be taken by adults and children aged 6 years and over.
Gabapentin is not suitable for some people.
To make sure gabapentin is safe for you, tell your doctor if you:
- have ever had an allergic reaction to gabapentin or other medicines in the past
- have ever misused or been addicted to a medicine
- are trying to get pregnant, pregnant or breastfeeding
- are on a controlled sodium or potassium diet, or your kidneys don’t work well
You May Like: Does Lidocaine Work For Nerve Pain
What Drugs Interact With Lyrica Vs Gabapentin
Lyrica drug interactions
- Alcohol and drugs that cause sedation may increase the sedative effects of pregabalin.
- Pioglitazone and rosiglitazone cause weight gain, fluid retention, and possibly heart failure. Therefore, combining pregabalin with these drugs may increase the occurrence of weight gain and fluid retention.
Gabapentin drug interactions
- Antacids reduce the concentration of gabapentin in blood. Therefore, gabapentin should be administered 2 hours or more after taking antacids.
- Morphine significantly increases blood concentrations of gabapentin and may increase central nervous system-related adverse events associated with gabapentin.
What Is The Dosage Of Lyrica Vs Gabapentin
Lyrica dosage instructions
- Lyrica may be taken with or without food.
- Treating diabetic peripheral neuropathy: The initial dose for neuropathic pain associated with diabetic peripheral neuropathy is 50 mg three times a day . The dose may be increased to a maximum dose of 100 mg 3 times daily after one week.
- Treating postherpetic neuralgia: The recommended dose for postherpetic neuralgia is 75-150 mg twice daily or 50-100 mg three times daily. Dosing should begin at 75 mg two times a day or 50 mg three times a day . The dose may be increased to 100 mg 3 times daily after one week. If pain relief is inadequate after 2-4 weeks of treatment at 300 mg/day, the dose may be increased to 300 mg twice daily or 200 mg three times daily. Doses greater than 300 mg cause more side effects.
- Treating neuropathic pain associated with spinal cord injury: The dose for treating neuropathic pain associated with spinal cord injury is 150 to 600 mg daily. Begin dosing at 75 mg two times a day an increase to 150 mg two times daily after one week if response is inadequate. May increase to 300 mg twice daily if response is inadequate after 2 to 3 weeks.
- Treating seizures: The recommended dose for treating seizures is 150-600 mg/day divided into 2 or 3 doses, starting at 150 mg daily and increasing based on response and tolerability. The maximum dose is 600 mg/day.
- Treating fibromyalgia: Fibromyalgia is treated with 300-450 mg/day in 2 or 3 divided doses.
Gabapentin dosage instructions
Don’t Miss: Does Lidocaine Work For Nerve Pain
Cautions With Other Medicines
There arent usually any problems mixing gabapentin with other medicines.
Some indigestion remedies, called antacids, reduce the amount of gabapentin that the body takes in so it doesnt work as well.
To stop this happening, take an antacid at least 2 hours before or after your dose of gabapentin.
For safety, tell your doctor if youre taking these medicines before you start gabapentin treatment:
- strong painkillers, such as morphine these can increase the tiredness and dizziness you can feel when you start gabapentin
What Is Gabapentin Approved For
Gabapentin is used to:
- Prevent and control partial seizures. Gabapentin can be used in adults and children age 3 and older who have partial seizures.
- Relieve nerve pain following shingles in adults.Shingles is a painful rash that develops many years after you’ve had chickenpox. The virus that causes chickenpox stays dormant in a portion of your spinal nerve root called the dorsal root ganglion. For whatever reason, this otherwise dormant virus gets reactivated usually by stress causing a shingles rash. Nerve pain following a case of shingles is called postherpetic neuralgia .
- Treat moderate-too-severe primary restless legs syndrome.
The branded gabapentin products Neurontin and Gralise are approved for partial seizures and PHN. The branded gabapentin enacarbil product Horizant is approved for restless legs syndrome and PHN.
Recommended Reading: Neck Pain And Nausea Symptoms
Can Gabapentin Make You Feel Loopy
Gabapentin may make you feel loopy or as if you were going crazy or insane due to some of the side effects which include drowsiness, fatigue, memory problems or memory loss, dizziness, sleepiness, loss of control of bodily movements, nausea, vomiting, difficulty speaking, among others. However, not everyone gets to experience all or some of the side effects.
How Long Does It Take To Work
After you start to take it for nerve pain, you should see an improvement in the intensity of the pain over one to two weeks. However, for some people, it may take longer for gabapentin to work to reduce nerve pain whereas there are others who may feel a difference right away.
You will need to visit your medical practitioner on a scheduled to date so he/she can conclude if the nerve pain medication is working to relieve your pain or not. In the event it is not, they may either increase the dosage or switch your medication for another one.
If you do notice a difference in the level of pain you experience on gabapentin, your medical practitioner will advise you to continue taking it. You cannot become addicted to gabapentin, hence making it safe to take for continuous use.
Even though the chances of becoming addicted are low because its addictive potential is low, you may experience withdrawal symptoms, which is an essential part of physical addiction.
Even though the occurrence of someone becoming addicted is less, if they do become addicted to it, the treatment to stop being dependent on the medication is quite complex, but doable.
Here are common signs of a person who has developed a dependency on gabapentin:
You May Like: Lidocaine For Pain Relief