Understand All The Risk Factors
As mentioned, carpal tunnel syndrome is primarily associated with repetitive hand and arm motions at work. But hobbies or sports can contribute to CTS as well. Even long times spent driving can lead to the development of carpal tunnel.
The National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Strokes points out that other conditions can contribute to CTS. If youve had a sprain or fracture, you may have increased risk. Same goes for pituitary and thyroid gland issues. Those who suffer from diabetes or other metabolic disorders are also at higher risk.
Living With Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
You may decide against having surgery for your carpal tunnel syndrome. If so, here are some things that may help relieve your symptoms.
- Prop up your arm with pillows when you lie down.
- Avoid overusing the affected hand.
- Find a new way to use your hand by using a different tool.
- Try to use the unaffected hand more often.
- Avoid holding your wrists in a downward bent position for long periods of time.
Carpal Tunnel Relief For Musicians
Carpal tunnel syndrome is a condition in which there is pressure on the median nervethe nerve in the wrist that supplies feeling and movement to parts of the hand. If you play your instrument for many hours per day without adequate breaks and/or stretching, you may one day find yourself afflicted with carpal tunnel syndrome. In his book, The Bassists Guide to Injury Management, Prevention, and Better Health, Chicago-based chiropractor, Randall Kertz, D.C., discusses the condition in depth. Making Music asked Kertz to shed some light on the symptoms, treatments, and preventive measures. Though hes a bass player himself, and his title suggests that it might be specific to that instrument, Kertz designed the guide to point out problems that any musician may encounter.
What Are The Causes Of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
Often, the biggest culprit of carpal tunnel syndrome is doing repetitive movements with poor posture. Certain movements, like typing with bent wrists or using a poorly-designed computer mouse, can cause your muscles and tendons to become damaged over time. Lets go over how to type if you have this condition.
Pay Attention To Your Workstation
If you work at a desk job, its important to keep your hands in a neutral position, with your fingers in line with your forearms, says Dr. Sueno. If your wrist is in a neutral position, that really minimizes the risk of carpal tunnel syndrome, he says.
This might be easier with a desktop computer, since you can adjust them as needed. Frost is adamant that people shouldnt use laptops, while Sueno says that either is fine. The most important thing, he says, is to be careful not to overextend your wrists while typing.
Who Is At Risk Of Developing Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
Women are three times more likely than men to develop carpal tunnel syndrome. People with diabetes or other metabolic disorders that directly affect the bodys nerves and make them more susceptible to compression are also at high risk. CTS usually occurs only in adults.
Workplace factors may contribute to existing pressure on or damage to the median nerve. The risk of developing CTS is not confined to people in a single industry or job, but may be more reported in those performing assembly line worksuch as manufacturing, sewing, finishing, cleaning, and meatpackingthan it is among data-entry personnel.
Natural Treatment Plan For Carpal Tunnel Relief
1. Rest & Reduce Stressors
Although its not always easy to make changes to your work routine or even your hobbies, sometimes rest is needed to stop certain movements that are causing carpal tunnel strain and stress. Examples include like typing, carpentry work or other hobbies that require you to use your hands. Any activity or motion that causes flare ups in symptoms should be put on hold for a period of time while you heal.
Changing or modifying these activities will lower the chance that the condition continues to get worse and that youll need to take further action to treat it. Once youre cleared to return to work or whatever activity is causing pain, try to perform stretching exercises. Also, take frequent rest breaks to move around the hands.
2. Carpal Tunnel Exercises & Tips for Posture Correction
Carpal Tunnel Diet Plan:
You might not associate a poor diet with problems like carpal tunnel syndrome. But, the truth is that the quality of the foods you eat directly impacts inflammation levels throughout your whole body. Your ligaments, joints and tissue are all affected. You want to eat plenty of anti-inflammatory foods. This means lots of fresh fruits, vegetables and omega-3 foods. Omega-3 foods include wild-caught fish. You can also try taking a fish oil supplement.
Here are the top foods for carpal tunnel relief, plus a bit about why they are beneficial:
Supplements & Essential Oils:
Precautions When Treating Carpal Tunnel
Final Thoughts on Carpal Tunnel Relief
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Treatment In Phoenix
If you are experiencing persistent pain, numbness, or tingling in your wrists, hands, or fingers, you may be suffering from carpal tunnel syndrome or another hand injury. For more information on prevention, minimally invasive outpatient hand and wrist surgery, and recovery options, contact board certified hand surgeon Dr. Michael Fitzmaurice to schedule an appointment at the Fitzmaurice Hand Institute in Phoenix today!
Wrist Flexion And Repetitive Strain
Being aware of your wrist position can reduce your risk of carpal tunnel syndrome. Neutral wrist position is the most protective. This is the position when your hand is in line with your wrist.
A flexed position is palm down, with the palm and fingers bent towards the inner wrist. An extended position is with the palm up.
How Can I Prevent Carpal Tunnel Syndrome While Using A Computer Mouse
Some simple steps you can take include:
- Place the mouse in an optimal positionon a platform just above the number panel.
- If you use an external mouse and keyboard with a laptop, elevate the laptop so the screen is at eye level.
- Choose a mouse shape that is comfortable in your hand and don’t grip it too tightly.
- Keep your wrist in a neutral position and move the mouse by moving your elbow rather than flicking your wrist from side to side.
- Consider a mouse that can be used with both the left and right hands so you can switch hands periodically.
Are There Things You Can Do To Avoid Or Reduce The Pain
Theres plenty you can do to avoid or reduce the pain of playing guitar. Here are some best practices:
- Dont press down too hard when you hit a note or chord. Many guitarists will tell you that a light touch will typically give you the sound you want.
- Keep your nails short so that the fingernails dont absorb the pressure and put strain on your fingers.
- Start short and play longer and longer as your calluses develop and you adjust your technique to minimize pain. Play for about 15 minutes at a time three times a day and go from there.
- Switch to lighter-gauge strings once your calluses are built up to avoid the possibility of being cut by a thinner string.
- Adjust the space between the strings and fretboard on your guitar so that you dont have to push down as hard.
Long-term guitar playing can increase your risk of carpal tunnel syndrome if youre not careful.
Heres what you can do to reduce your risk:
- Take breaks between long sessions to relax your muscles and tendons.
- Flex and stretch your wrist and finger muscles often to keep them flexible.
- Keep your hands warm to allow more muscle and tendon flexibility.
- Dont crack your knuckles often or at all.
- Meet with a physical therapist, if possible, to get regular treatment for sore or damaged muscles and ligaments.
Here are some more carpal tunnel exercises you can try to help reduce the symptoms or development of the condition.
Avoid Sleeping On Your Side
Sleeping on your side is associated with carpal tunnel syndrome. Those who sleep on their side are more likely to sleep in the fetal position. If you sleep in the fetal position you typically have your shoulders rounded forward with your arms and wrists bent. The pressure on your shoulder and arm from your own body weight combined with bent arms may lead to nerve compression.
How Is Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Recognized
People who suspect carpal tunnel syndrome often consult a doctor. The evaluation of occupational carpal tunnel syndrome includes identifying workplace risks. Evaluation begins with a discussion of the persons employment and requires a detailed description of all the processes involved in a typical days work. It also requires consideration of the frequency, intensity, duration and regularity of each task performed at work. Diagnosis of carpal tunnel syndrome is confirmed by performing certain tests to detect damage to the median nerve.
- Tinels test The physician taps the median nerve at the wrist. A tingling response in one or more fingers indicates damage to the median nerve.
- Phalens test The patient puts the backs of the hands together and bends the wrists for one minute. Tingling of the fingers indicates damage to the median nerve.
- Electromyography Electrodes are placed on the forearm and electrical current is passed through the patient. Measurements on how fast and how well the median nerve transmits messages to muscles indicate if there is damage to this nerve.
Keep Your Wrists In A Neutral Position
Often, the biggest culprit of wrist pain is typing with tense wrists. Imagine if youre typing with bent wrists for many hours every day. This may put a huge amount of strain onto your wrist tendons. Do this often and you may develop carpal tunnel syndrome.
The best way to go about this is to learn how to type with a keyboard properly. It all starts with the right finger placement and proper hand positioning. Not only will you understand the right technique to type on the keyboard, you will subconsciously type with more speed as well. Plus, youll naturally type in a relaxed state.
Can Carpal Tunnel Be Cured Naturally
If your carpal tunnel is a result of inflammation pinching the carpal tunnel, then applying cold packs to the wrist can help reduce CTS symptoms of pain or inflammation. Visiting a physical therapy clinic to see a physical therapist or occupational therapist can also help teach movement exercises to prevent carpal tunnel. These movement experts can show additional techniques and manually work with the wrist to help pinpoint the exact cause of wrist pain, and show you carpal tunnel prevention techniques and exercises. You can book an appointment at your nearest location for carpal tunnel treatment by clicking here.
Risk Factors And Eligibility For Chiropractic Treatment
Chiropractors can help many patients with carpal tunnel syndrome, but not all of them are eligible for treatment in the first place. The risk factors determining eligibility include:
- Being over 18 years old.
- Having no other health conditions besides carpal tunnel symptoms .
- Experiencing symptoms at least six months before seeking care from a chiropractor.
Moreover, those who experienced neurological problems such as numbness or tingling on both sides of their body may also be ineligible for chiropractic treatment.
Hand And Wrist Stretches
A physical therapist, occupational therapist, or certified hand therapist can teach you exercises which you can learn to do on your own. Nerve and tendon gliding exercises have been shown to be helpful in carpal tunnel syndrome. Simple exercises I have found helpful are stretches which involve the fingers and wrist, pulling them back into extension and holding the stretch for 20 seconds, then relaxing. This can be repeated for up to 5 minutes per session, 2-3 times per day. This stretch shouldnt be painful or done with excessive force. Therapists can also do therapeutic ultrasound and iontophoresis treatments which can help reduce symptoms.
Custom Carpal Tunnel Wrist Braces
You can also get a custom wrist brace for your carpal tunnel from your health care professional. These custom wrist braces are fabricated from physical or occupational therapists and they will fit to your hand or wrist precisely.
The braces listed above should give you a good start in finding the right option for you. Once youve purchase a wrist brace take some time to get the fit right and learn how to wear it. Youll be amazed at how much relief youll find and how great it can make you feel!
Stretch Your Wrists Regularly
Did you know that wrist exercises increase flexibility and help lower the risk of injury? Wrist stretches are highly recommended as a preventive measure. Sadly, many dont find the time to take a break from typing to do this simple, yet often neglected activity. To start, stretch your wrists once every 30 minutes of typing.
The wrist flexor stretch is a simple and effective way to prevent carpal tunnel syndrome.
Try this simple stretch called the wrist flexor stretch: extend your arm in front of you with your palm up. With your other hand, gently bend your wrist with the hand pointing toward the floor. Hold this position for 15 seconds while feeling the stretch in your forearm. Repeat with the other hand. Simple, isnt it?
Chiropractor For Carpal Tunnel: 5 Facts And Treatment Options
Do you have carpal tunnel symptoms? There are many different treatment options available. One option that is often overlooked is chiropractic care. Chiropractors can help to reduce the pain and inflammation associated with carpal tunnel syndrome. This article will explore some of the benefits of chiropractic care for carpal tunnel and how a chiropractor can be an essential part of your recovery plan.
Ways To Lower Your Carpal Tunnel Pain At Night Naturally
Individuals diagnosed with carpal tunnel syndrome tend to report an increase in wrist pain first thing in the morning. Whats happening while you sleep? Turns out there is a lot including the way you position your hand and wrist. Check out these three easy methods of carpal tunnel treatment you can try today. Then contact our chiropractor and carpal tunnel doctor in Kenosha for additional care.
What Is Carpal Tunnel
Carpal tunnel syndrome affects millions of Americans each year, yet experts arent entirely sure what causes it. A combination of lifestyle and genetic factors are likely to blame. However, the risk factors are so diverse that nearly everybody has one or more of them at some point in their lives.
Carpal tunnel syndrome can cause numbness, stiffness, and pain in the fingers and hand. There is no known way to prevent carpal tunnel, but some exercises can reduce your chances of experiencing symptoms.
We spoke with John DiBlasio, MPT, DPT, CSCS, a Vermont-based physical therapist, for exercise suggestions.
Here are three basic moves you can do any time of day. These stretches and exercises are simple and dont require any equipment. You can easily do them at your desk, while waiting in line, or whenever you have a minute or two to spare.
Problems like carpal tunnel are best addressed with stretches done throughout the day, says Dr. DiBlasio. Protect your wrists in just a few minutes a day with these easy movements.
Remember that nursery rhyme from when you were a kid? Turns out its a great stretch for your hands:
This is as straightforward as it sounds: Shake your hands like youve just washed them and are trying to air dry them.
Why Does Carpal Tunnel Hurt More At Night
Its not uncommon for carpal tunnel symptoms to start while youre sleeping and there are two main reasons why carpal tunnel syndrome can be worse at nighttime.
Flexing your wrists puts more pressure on the median nerve, in turn causing carpal tunnel pain. Ideally, you would sleep with your wrists in a neutral position with your hands slightly elevated.
This can cause fluid to accumulate within your body. If fluid builds up within the wrist it can compress the median nerve.
How To Prevent Carpal Tunnel Syndrome While Gaming
Although gaming injuries are rare, they do occur occasionally, and they can happen at any age. Personal computer gamers who use a keyboard and a mouse may be more at risk of experiencing carpal tunnel syndrome than those who use video controllers. In either case, you should speak with your doctor if you notice pain during gaming, or have symptoms that last for several days. Here are tips to help you game safely and avoid CTS.
- Change your mouse: If using your mouse causes wrist pain or isnt comfortable, its time to try a different one. For example, you might try a vertical mouse or one designed especially for gamers. Test your new device for a week and see if it helps.
- Take breaks: Gamers must remember to take breaks, so they can fit in some physical activity and give their hands a rest. When playing, you should pause at least once an hour. Every two hours, get up to stretch and move around to prevent back problems and improve circulation.
- Sit correctly at your computer: You should not need to bend your wrists while you use your computer. Adjust the height of your desk or chair to make sure you can keep your wrists straight and your elbows at your side. The top of your monitor should be at eye level, and you should be able to sit with your feet flat on the floor. Make whatever adjustments you need to reduce the stress you put on your body as you game.
How To Test For Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
To test for CTS, your doctor will consider your medical history and examine your wrist and hand. If they suspect you have CTS, they may perform other tests to confirm their diagnosis.
- Tinels sign test: This test involves tapping on your median nerve near your wrist to see if it causes tingling or pain. If it does, your doctor may suspect you have CTS.
- Phalens test: During this test, the doctor will ask you to flex your wrists to see if it causes symptoms.
- X-ray: Your doctor might order an X-ray to rule out other causes of your pain, such as a fracture or arthritis.
- Nerve conduction study: A nerve conduction study assesses the flow of electrical signals that move through the median nerve and into the hand muscles. A slower flow of electricity may be the result of CTS.
- Electromyography testing: EMG testing examines muscle functioning. It can detect the smallest loss of muscle functioning and identify early nerve damage.
What Causes Carpal Tunnel
As we said before, carpal tunnel syndrome is caused by pressure on a certain nerve in your hand. This often happens with repetitive movements, though other traits like weight, genetics, and gender come into play as well. Here are a few factors that make the syndrome more likely.
- Women are three times more likely to get carpal tunnel. Its not exactly known why, but it could be due to them having smaller carpal tunnels.
- Youre more likely to get carpal tunnel if you have a family member with small carpal tunnels.
- If you move your arm, hand, or wrist in the same motions over and over for work, you are more likely to develop this syndrome. This often occurs among musicians, bakers, or hairstylists, even cashiers and assembly line workers.
- If you have previously damaged your wrist, like a fracture or a dislocation, carpal tunnel is more common.
Treating Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
For mild cases of carpal tunnel syndrome, resting your hand and wearing a splint at night might be all it takes to relieve symptoms. Symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome often occur at night, causing people to wake up and shake or move their hand around until the numbness resolves and it feels better, says Dr. Rozental. Medications, such as aspirin and ibuprofen arent a cure, but can help relieve pain. Your doctor may also want to try giving you steroid injections to help relieve symptoms.
If these carpal tunnel treatments arent effective, however, it may be time to consider surgery to release the ligament that is placing pressure on the median nerve.
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome In Relation To Guitarists
If you are a guitarist or a hands-on musician, you could be at a higher risk of being affected by the Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. Do you know what this is? Well, Carpal Tunnel Syndrome is characterized by numbness, burning, weakness, pain, and tingling in the hands and wrists. This is as a result of too much pressure being repetitively exerted on the median nerve.
The median nerve is responsible for providing sensation to all fingers except the small one, also known as pinky. This nerve usually runs through a narrow carpal tunnel. The tunnel results from a semi-circular arrangement of carpal bones. Feeling numbness means that the median nerve has failed and this is how the Carpal Tunnel Syndrome comes about.
How To Avoid Carpal Tunnel And Prevent It For Bass Players
How to avoid carpal tunnel guitar. Once you begin to feel pain while playing your guitar, you need to make changes to prevent. They lifted more heavy objects. When playing guitar extensively posted 27.
In many cases, carpal tunnel syndrome is the result of overusing the hands. Wear your guitar high with the neck at an upward angle. The blood circulation tends to get a little slow and numbness as well as stiffness is experienced repeatedly.
I think you really need to talk to a specialist. Different guitar playing positions to try include: Keep in mind that the more your wrist is bent or repetitively stressed, the greater the chances carpal tunnel will arise.
Knowing this fact, you can redesign workstations and manual tasks to avoid such stresses. How to survive carpal tunnel syndrome as a guitarist Knight suggests that every musician, amateur or professional, should develop good habits to prevent and treat carpal tunnel syndrome.
Playing guitar continuously is a sort of strenuous activity and tires your wrist, forearm as well fingers completely. Here are six remedies for carpal tunnel syndrome relief. Dont over do it when you practice.
Theyre an excellent way to avoid and treat carpal tunnel syndrome while also strengthening your hands. Next, you can avoid pain by avoiding the things that cause you pain. They churned butter and shoveled snow.
Knight says that regular rest from playing is the most obvious thing musicians should do to avoid carpal tunnel syndrome.
Benefits Of Chiropractic Care For Cts
- 66% of patients with carpal tunnel syndrome improved after chiropractic therapy
- Relief from pain and numbness within one to two weeks aftercare was received.
- Chiropractor treatment is a non-invasive alternative to surgery or drugs that can relieve CTS symptoms without any side effects.
According to the Centers for Disease Control , there are about four million cases of carpal tunnel syndrome each year in the United States alone. This makes it an epidemic – but even worse, most people don’t know what causes this condition and how they can treat it themselves at home because many only see commercials promoting surgical options such as wrist braces or cortisone injections.
Airrosti Provides Fast Wrist Pain Relief
If youve tried the above tips to avoid a wrist injury, and life still throws you a curve ball, dont just grind through the pain. with an Airrosti provider near you, youll receive the care and information you need to treat the pain directly at the source. This helps you eliminate your wrist pain instead of mitigating the symptoms.
Our providers are experts at diagnosing and treating many injuries, including carpal tunnel syndrome. By developing a customized treatment plan to address the root cause of your pain and prevent future injuries, our quality-care approach leads to fast, long-term relief.
Read our Medical Disclaimer here.