Stretch Your Wrists Regularly
Did you know that wrist exercises increase flexibility and help lower the risk of injury? Wrist stretches are highly recommended as a preventive measure. Sadly, many dont find the time to take a break from typing to do this simple, yet often neglected activity. To start, stretch your wrists once every 30 minutes of typing.
The wrist flexor stretch is a simple and effective way to prevent carpal tunnel syndrome.
Try this simple stretch called the wrist flexor stretch: extend your arm in front of you with your palm up. With your other hand, gently bend your wrist with the hand pointing toward the floor. Hold this position for 15 seconds while feeling the stretch in your forearm. Repeat with the other hand. Simple, isnt it?;
Logitech M570 Wireless Trackball Mouse Ergonomic Design
The Logitech M570 features an exposed ball on top of the mouse and sculpted shape for comfortable control. Unlike a regular mouse with the optical sensor on the bottom, this model does not require your arm to move. Nor do you need to grip the mouse, which often causes hand fatigue. You can click with other fingers and another side of your hand.
Manipulating the mouse with your thumb is more convenient and ergonomic because you utilize larger muscles, which cannot get injured so easily. Compared to the vertical mouse, this one is less precise but much safer for the hand. The Logitech M570 is particularly helpful for people suffering from wrist pain and hand camps as it effectively reduces unnatural movements.
The product comes with the unifying wireless receiver that stays in your laptop. The mouse runs on a single AA battery which, depending on computing conditions, lasts for up to 18 months. Anyway, the M570 is equipped with the battery indicator that will let you know when the battery is going low.
Since the trackball mouse does not move on the desk, it requires less space and is ideal for tight workspaces. The Logitech M570 works equally well on the desk and soft or uneven surfaces like a sofa. Made with the integrated scroll wheel and back/forward buttons, it is easy to control, no matter what kind of task you are doing. On top of that, the ball is removable and easy to clean.
Logitech M570 Wireless Trackball Mouse: Check the current price
Common Mechanism Of Injury
For gamers, carpal tunnel syndrome is more common for PC users due to the position of the hands over the keyboard and mouse. Common risks for PC users include:
- Poor hand position
- Allowing excessive extension of the wrists over the keyboard and/or mousewill pull the flexor retinaculum taut and put pressure on the median nerve
- Direct compression
- If the hands and wrists are not properly supported, the pressure from resting on the desk may be enough to compress the median nerve
- Overuse and inflammation
- Overuse of the flexor tendonssuch as pressing the keys on a keyboardmay eventually lead to tenosynovitis, an inflammatory condition which can compress structures within the carpal tunnel
- Chronic vibration
- Some providers claim long-term exposure to vibration may irritate nerves; using vibration on a console controller may lead to or exacerbate carpal tunnel syndrome
- Please note, we do not have an abundance of evidence to support this theory, but it has been reported anecdotally
Don’t Miss: Does Piles Cause Stomach Pain
Ways To Lower Your Carpal Tunnel Pain At Night Naturally
Individuals diagnosed with carpal tunnel syndrome tend to report an increase in wrist pain first thing in the morning. Whats happening while you sleep? Turns out there is a lot including the way you position your hand and wrist. Check out these three easy methods of carpal tunnel treatment you can try today. Then contact our chiropractor and carpal tunnel doctor in Kenosha for additional care.;
Preventing Carpal Tunnel Syndrome In The Workplace
If your job requires you to use your hands for a long time in an unnatural position or while using force, youre at higher risk of developing carpal tunnel syndrome. However, CTS doesnt only affect employees with manufacturing jobs. Many different occupations, from grocery store jobs to administrative positions, could put an employee at risk of developing CTS. By adjusting the way you work, you may be able to avoid carpal tunnel syndrome, reduce the severity of symptoms or make them disappear completely. Consider these tips.
Read Also: How To Stretch Shoulder Pain
Treatment & Recovery For Gamers Thumb Or Wrist Pain
Good news! Gamers typically dont require a lot of time off for gamers thumb. Only in severe cases where pain becomes unreasonable and you can no longer maintain your daily activities does Doug recommend a prolonged break from gaming.Physical therapy has proven to be extremely successful in treating gamers thumb and other game-related injuries.;Typically your treatment will begin with an assessment of the injury. Your therapist will work with you on some stretching and strengthening exercises. They may also include ice and electronic stim in your treatment plan.Below, youll see some hand exercises for gamers, hand and thumb stretches, and more treatments we do with our patients suffering from gamers thumb.Additionally, Doug mentioned that he has seen an up to 50% increase in recovery with patients by incorporating trigger point dry needling into their therapy. Dry needling uses a tiny needling to quickly release muscle tension; Doug refers to it as 30 massages in 30 seconds.;Very few hand therapists are also certified in this technique. Doug is one of only a handful in the Phoenix area that is able to incorporate dry needling into his hand therapy treatments.
Related content >>;Hand Therapy: Thumb Arthritis and Trigger Point Dry Needling
Palm & Hand Stretch # 2
Now push both palms together, keeping fingers together and pointing up, in a prayer position. Keep both hands close to your chest and in front of you.;
Next, relax your shoulders and slowly raise both elbows. Hold this position for 30 seconds. Then drop your hands at your side and shake them out vigorously for a few seconds. If they warm up, it’s becasue blood is flowing through them.;
Repeat this exercise again. When it comes to hand stretching for gamers, this is one of the best. Indeed, you should feel your forearms and wrists stretching like never before.
Also Check: How Do You Alleviate Sciatic Nerve Pain
Stretch Out Your Hands And Wrists
Certain exercises can help make your hands and wrists feel better while youre working. Try these stretches:
- Make a fist
- Stretch out your fingers in a fan shape, as far as you can
- Repeat this process 10 to 15 times
Or try another stretch:
- Raise your fingers straight up
- Bend your fingers back as far as you comfortably can
- Repeat this process 10 to 15 times
How Can I Prevent Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
If you are beginning to feel the symptoms of CTS, or if you want to prevent them from occurring, you can make adjustments to your gaming system, PC or laptop as well as your movements that will keep your median nerve healthy and functioning:
Get an ergonomic mouse. Almost 50% of professional gamers use an ergonomic gaming mouse. This mouse keeps your wrist straight and your hand in a natural prone, unflexed and untwisted position. You can apply those same principals to other controllers you use or buy ergonomic gaming controllers. While ergonomic mice and controllers may seem like a luxury, if you want to avoid CTS, theyre a necessity. An old mouse, wrong-sized mouse or a mouse that forces you to grip with force may be less expensive in the short run, but could cost you your wrist function in the long run. As a bonus, a wrist-friendly ergonomic mouse may also increase your accuracy.
Get an ergonomic keyboard. Old or poorly designed keyboards require more pressure and can contribute to repetitive force injuries.
Stop grinding and strafing. If you constantly fire with your thumb, over time the repetition can cause swelling that will impinge on the median nerve. The same situation can occur with other fingers as well. Vary your fingering pattern to avoid stressing the same fingers over and over. An ergonomic mouse should help you stop the repetitive sideways motions associated with strafing.
Sit pretty. Correct posture will help alleviate pressure on your wrist:
Recommended Reading: What Doctor Treats Neck And Shoulder Pain
How Do You Know If You Have Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
If you feel you have any of these symptoms, dont diagnose yourself. Make sure to see a physiotherapist or other health professional to develop a proper diagnosis and treatment plan.
Typical symptoms that occur with carpal tunnel syndrome are burning, numbness, pain, or electric shock-like sensations or tingling down the arm and hand .
Those with very severe carpal tunnel syndrome may have trouble sleeping, pain that travels from the thumb to the shoulder, weakness, loss of hand coordination, loss of feeling in the hand, and reduced fine motor skills such as subtle mouse movements .
Wrist & Hand Stretching For Gamers
With both hands held high, make lose fists. Next, make slow circular motions with each fist, rotating around your wrist joint. ;
Try to make those circles as big as you can, for about 10 seconds. Then, switch directions.;
Hand stretching for gamers often does not include wrist exercises, so this should be done as often as possible.
Don’t Miss: Can Shoulder Blade Pain Cause Arm Pain
Experiencing Hand Or Wrist Pain Now
If youre experiencing hand, wrist, or forearm pain that is not improving, even after taking breaks and following these guidelines, you could have a repetitive stress injury. Contact your doctor you may use our My Choice resource to help select the right specialist for you and request an appointment online or call 238-7280 for an appointment at one of our convenient locations in Atlanta, Alpharetta, and Cumming..
Our office hours have changed for the holiday. Have a safe and wonderful holiday!
Preventing Carpal Tunnel Syndrome At Work
Following the below tips while at work can help to prevent carpal tunnel syndrome:
- Use an ergonomically correct workstation that includes a wrist pad. Keep a wrist pad at the bottom of your keyboard to help keep your wrists in a neutral, almost straight position when you are not typing. When you are actively typing, keep your forearms raised a little, so your hands and wrists can move freely.
- Center the work in front of you. Keep it as low as you can, but make sure the keyboard or workstation doesnt touch your legs.
- Keep your forearms parallel to the floor or just slightly lower.
- Keep your hands and wrists in line with your forearms.
- Hold your elbows close to your sides.
- Take short breaks every 15 minutes.
- Dont lean on your wrists or the heels of your hands.
- Stretch your body and perform some wrist stretches.
- Change your computer mouse. There are many styles to choose from. Some will change the position of your hand and help reduce the stress on your wrist. It might take a few tries to find one that works for you.
Ways To Avoid Wrist Pain From Gaming
Wrist pains can be a result of several things. As we mentioned earlier, all those flick shots and mouse drag eventually take their toll on your wrist. In addition, poor ergonomics and hardware are also the reason why one experiences wrist pain from gaming. To tackle this problem, we have listed five ways to avoid wrist pain from gaming.
Who Is At Risk For Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
While anyone can get CTS, there are specific risk factors associated with the condition.
- Age:;CTS is more common in adults over age 30 than other age groups.
- Anatomy:;Some individuals are born with small;carpal tunnels in their wrists, which can increase;the chance of getting CTS.
- Sex:;Women are much more likely;to get CTS than men. Pregnancy can also be a risk factor for CTS,;particularly in women who retain fluids.
- Career:;People who have jobs that involve repetitive movements or working with tools may face a higher risk of CTS.
- Health conditions:;Underlying;conditions such as arthritis, gout, diabetes, alcoholism and hypothyroidism may make someone more susceptible to CTS.
Recommended Reading: How To Diagnose Knee Pain
Part 2 Of 3: Being Ergonomically Sound
How To Prevent Common Computer And Video Game Injuries In Children
Most children and adolescents regularly experience physical injuries from ordinary play and sports. However, with the increasing popularity of computer and video games, some kids are now feeling the same kind of pains and aches that adults get from sitting behind their desks all day. Taking steps to prevent computer and video game injuries can ease pain today and possibly minimize the risk of long-term damage.
Chiropractors believe that common musculoskeletal problems caused by excessive gaming in front of a screen result mainly from postural stresses and lack of movement. Some of the common health problems experienced by gamers include:
- Wrist, arm or elbow strain
- Hand or thumb strain
You May Like: Where Is Neck Pain Located In Meningitis
Treatment & Recovery For Tennis Elbow
When symptoms are acute, Doug recommends taking a short break from your gaming activities to allow the inflamed tissue to heal. Only in severe cases where pain becomes unreasonable and you can no longer maintain your daily activities does Doug recommend a prolonged break from gaming.Physical therapy has proven to be extremely successful in treating tennis elbow from gaming.;Typically your treatment will begin with an assessment of the injury. Your therapist will work with you first to improve your posture and stretch out the front of your chest, allowing you to play with less pressure coming down your arms.Your therapist will also work with you to stretch the area around the tendons that come down through the elbow and become inflamed with tennis elbow. Additionally, they will provide eccentric exercises to strengthen the arm and thicken those tendons to avoid repeat injury. They may also include ice and electronic stim in your treatment plan.Like gamers thumb, Doug mentioned that he has seen big improvements in patients by incorporating trigger point dry needling into their tennis elbow therapy. We recommend looking for a physical therapist certified in dry needling when youre assessing your treatment options.;
Related content >>;Tennis Elbow: Not Just for Tennis Players
What Is Gamers Thumb Or Wrist
Tenosynovitis of the first compartment of the wrist, more commonly known as gamers thumb, gamers wrist, or de Quervains syndrome. This condition is characterized by inflammation of the tendons in the wrist and thumb, typically presenting as a sore thumb or wrist pain.;This is caused by repetitive use, and in this case, repetitive video game play. Its also especially common for new mothers due to the repetitive action of lifting their new baby.
Recommended Reading: How Do You Know If You Broke Your Wrist
Behavioral Problems Like Aggressive Behavior
;As a parent, you can minimize the risk of your child developing such health complications by encouraging your child to:
- Take frequent breaks
- Pursue other interests, hobbies, and activities, especially physical activities like sports
- Sit at least one meter away from the screen
- Set sensible time limits on game playing
- Getting the right furniture that suits your childs height
- Getting the right keyboard and mouse
;Talking to children about the risk of excessive computer and video gaming is a good idea. If you are a resident of Cumming, GA and your child has been using computers and video games for some time now, it is advisable to make an appointment with our family chiropractor today for further advice on how to treat and prevent computer and video game injuries in children.
Are There Things You Can Do To Avoid Or Reduce The Pain
Theres plenty you can do to avoid or reduce the pain of playing guitar. Here are some best practices:
- Dont press down too hard when you hit a note or chord. Many guitarists will tell you that a light touch will typically give you the sound you want.
- Keep your nails short so that the fingernails dont absorb the pressure and put strain on your fingers.
- Start short and play longer and longer as your calluses develop and you adjust your technique to minimize pain. Play for about 15 minutes at a time three times a day and go from there.
- Switch to lighter-gauge strings once your calluses are built up to avoid the possibility of being cut by a thinner string.
- Adjust the space between the strings and fretboard on your guitar so that you dont have to push down as hard.
Long-term guitar playing can increase your risk of carpal tunnel syndrome if youre not careful.
Heres what you can do to reduce your risk:
- Take breaks between long sessions to relax your muscles and tendons.
- Flex and stretch your wrist and finger muscles often to keep them flexible.
- Keep your hands warm to allow more muscle and tendon flexibility.
- Dont crack your knuckles often or at all.
- Meet with a physical therapist, if possible, to get regular treatment for sore or damaged muscles and ligaments.
Here are some more carpal tunnel exercises you can try to help reduce the symptoms or development of the condition.
Recommended Reading: Where Is Sciatic Nerve Pain Felt