Home Remedies For Constipation Relief
Dietary changes, drinking water, exercise, and taking supplements are among the natural ways to relieve symptoms of constipation. Identifying the factors contributing to constipation can help you decide which remedies are best. A combination of the following remedies may be necessary to treat the problem.
Foods To Relieve Constipation
Getting enough fiber is a key part of relieving and preventing constipation. Its also important not to skip meals and to avoid highly processed foods, like fast food, potato chips, and white bread. High-fiber foods include:
- Beans and legumes, including navy beans, garbanzo beans, soybeans, lentils, almonds and peanuts
- Fresh fruits, especially apples, berries, figs, pears, plums and prunes. Eat edible skins to get the most benefit.
- Fresh vegetables, especially broccoli, , peas, and potatoes with their skins
- Whole grain products, especially bran cereal and popcorn
What Else Can Cause Bloating
Constipation isnt the only bloating cause. There are many contributing factors that can lead to a buildup of excess gas in your digestive tract. These include:
- Intestinal bacteria. Sometimes bacteria cant break down all the excess carbohydrates in the stomach and small intestine. When the undigested carbohydrates reach the large intestine, the bacteria located there release excess air.
- Medical conditions. Several medical conditions can increase the occurrence of bloating. These include irritable bowel syndrome, gastroesophageal reflux disease, lactose intolerance, and celiac disease.
- Swallowing excess air. Swallowing too much air by chewing gum, drinking carbonated drinks, eating or drinking very quickly, or even wearing loose-fitting dentures can increase the amount of air building up in your gastrointestinal tract.
In addition to these bloating causes, there are many foods known to contribute to bloating:
While you dont need to avoid all of these foods , avoiding consuming an excess of them can help.
You can also try reducing your intake of certain groupings to see if your symptoms improve.
You should talk with your doctor or other healthcare provider about your constipation and constipation-related bloating if you have the following symptoms:
- frequent bouts of constipation
- sudden changes in constipation symptoms
- unexplained weight loss
Your healthcare provider will be able to recommend different treatments that can help you address your specific symptoms.
Recommended Reading: Can Wrist Brace Help Carpal Tunnel
Relieve Constipation Pain For Good: Normalize Your Breathing
If one retrains their unconscious respiratory pattern and reaches a certain number for the body-oxygen test, problems with constipation pain, as well as many other common symptoms of chronic diseases, disappear nearly completely. Furthermore, clinical remission takes place at even higher body O2 levels. Both numbers required to ease and subsequently defeat constipation pain are will be provided right below as your bonus content.
You need to have 30+ s for the body O2 test 24/7 to eliminate constipation pain nearly completely. But, up to 50-60 s for the morning CP will be required for total relief of symptoms.
This page in Spanish: Alivio del estreñimiento en 1 minuto: Ejercicios de respiración para el dolor debido al estreñimiento.
For references and clinical abstracts click here: Relief for painful constipation .
How automatic-breathing parameters relate to spasms and cramping
The Side Effects Of Laxatives
Like most medicines, laxatives can cause side effects. They’re usually mild and should pass once you stop taking the laxative.
The side effects you may get will depend on the;type of laxative you’re taking, but common side effects of most laxatives include:
- tummy cramps
- feeling sick
- dehydration,;which can make you feel lightheaded, have headaches and have pee that’s a darker colour than normal
Ask a GP for advice if you get any particularly troublesome or persistent side effects while taking laxatives.
Using laxatives too often or for too long can also cause diarrhoea, the bowel becoming blocked by large, dry poo , and unbalanced salts and minerals in your body.
Read Also: Does Ginger Relieve Stomach Pain
Peppermint To Get Rid Of Stomach Pain
Peppermint has antispasmodic properties that help with the pain. It helps with the indigestion as well. This remedy is of the best to be used as it has been used for a very long. Prepare a tea using peppermint and you get relief from the pain. To prepare the tea:
- Boil a cup of water.
- Add one teaspoon of dries peppermint.
- Boil it for some time.
- Allow it to steep for 10 minutes.
- Now strain the liquid and drink it.
What Causes Constipation
Reasons why people get constipated include:
- Unhealthy diet. Constipation can be due to a diet that doesn’t include enough water and fiber, both of which help the bowels move as they should. People who eat lots of processed foods, cheeses, white bread and bagels, and meats may find they’re constipated often. A healthier diet that includes high-fiber foods can keep the stool from getting hard and dry.
- Not enough exercise. Moving around helps food move through the digestive system. So not getting enough physical activity can contribute to constipation.
- Stress. People can get constipated when they’re anxious about something, like a life change or a problem at home. Stress can affect how the digestive system works and can cause constipation, as well as other conditions, like diarrhea.
- Irritable bowel syndrome .;A person with IBS may have either constipation or diarrhea, as well as stomach pain and gas.
- Ignoring the natural urge. Avoiding going to the bathroom, even when you really have the urge to go, can cause constipation. When you ignore the urge to go, it can be harder to go later on.
- Some medicines. Sometimes, medicines like antidepressants and those used to treat iron deficiencies can lead to constipation.
In rare cases, constipation is a sign of other medical illnesses. Call your doctor if you continue to have problems, or if the constipation lasts for 2 to 3 weeks.
Also Check: How To Get Relief From Sciatica Leg Pain
What Is Laxative Abuse
Extreme thinness, or evidence of binging and purging, are often some of the more noticeable signs of eating disorders. But people struggling with anorexia, bulimia or binge-eating disorder may also engage in other behaviors in an attempt to rid the body of food and feel thinner. One strikingly common way teens and adults try to purge calories or food is by using laxatives.
Laxatives are sold over the counter and are easy to obtain, but they can wreak havoc on the body. The overuse of laxatives can lead to electrolyte disturbances, dehydration and mineral deficiencies. Laxative abuse can also cause long-term and potentially permanent damage to the digestive system, including chronic constipation and damage to the nerves and muscles of the colon.
We are here to help you.
What Causes Pain On Right Side Of Abdomen Top 10 Possible
490 People Used
Techniques for Relieving Constipation and Gas Pain!
Can Hemorrhoids Cause Abdominal Pain And Bloating?…
Does Constipation Cause Lower Back Pain?
Can constipation cause back pain and leg pain?
What can cause pain in bowel after childbirth? – Dr.
Read Also: Who Do You Go To For Shoulder Pain
Signs And Symptoms Of Laxative Abuse
- Taking pills before or immediately after meals.
- Spending time in the bathroom following meals or snacks.
- Rearranging social, school, or work obligations around bathroom breaks.
- Urgency to use the bathroom after meals.
- Increasing the number of laxatives taken.
- Lying about using laxatives, cleanses, or herbal supplements meant to cause bowel movements.
- Hiding laxatives or visiting different stores to purchase laxatives.
- Feelings of euphoria after bowel movements.
- Obsession and ritualistic behaviors that surround laxative use and bathroom use.
- Other forms of self-harm, such as cutting.
- Stating feelings of depression, anxiety, or shame.
- Negative body image or wearing baggy clothing to hide body shape.
Eating More Calories Than Usual
Lets face it. When youre off your schedule, sometimes the most interesting thing you can do is bake. But consuming excess calories especially those found in cookies, cakes and bread can pack on the pounds and cause your belly to bloat.
If cooking is your jam while sheltering in place, reserve high-calorie recipes for special occasions, or cut it back to one meal a week.
Read Also: How To Know If Wrist Is Broken
Rice Water To Get Rid Of Stomach Pain
Rice water is a very easy-to-make remedy for stomach pain. It works great with upset stomach as well. Preparing the rice water is easy:
- Take a cup of rice.
- Add six cups of water and boil it.
- After boiling for almost 15 minutes, strain it.
- Keep the rice aside and drink the water.
- This should be done twice a day.
It Could Be Constipation
While youre spending a lot of time at home, you may not be moving as much as you usually do. You may also be eating different foods. This can lead to constipation. You may be constipated if you experience:
- Fewer bowel movements than normal for you
- Stool that is lumpy or looks like pebbles
- Difficulty passing stool or a feeling that you still need to go after youre finished
Fortunately, you can make a number of at-home changes to help relieve your constipation. These include:
Recommended Reading: What Is The Best Treatment For Stomach Pain
How To Take Tablets
Take the medicine once a day just before bedtime.
You can take it with or without food. Swallow the tablet whole with water. Do not take them with milk.
Do not take bisacodyl tablets at the same time as:
- dairy products like milk, cheese or yoghurt
- indigestion remedies
- medicines to reduce stomach acid
Leave a gap of 1 hour between taking any of these and taking your bisacodyl tablets. This is because they will stop the medicine working properly.
What Are The Symptoms Of Constipation In Adults
An individual may exhibit a broad range of symptoms of constipation depending on his or her bowel habits, diet, and age. These are some common problems a person may have if he or she is constipated:
- Difficulty in starting or completing a bowel movement
- Infrequent and difficult passage of stool
- Passing hard stool after prolonged straining
- a sense of bloating, and
- a change in bowel habits
Read Also: Will A Knee Brace Help With Knee Pain
Tips For Good Reviews
- Only rate drugs or treatments you’ve tried.
- In your description, mention the brand, dose, and period of time that you used the drug or treatment.
- Please share your positive and negative experiences with the drug, and compare it with other treatments you have used.
- Do not include any personal information or links in your review.
Rated For Constipation Report
I took 3 pills a few weeks ago, shortly after my surgery . Lord have mercy, Ive had multiple kidney stones and shattered my wrist at some point and the side effects of these pills were almost as painful as them. Please dont take the chance! Not when there are other options out there. The funny part is, I decided to try one pill tonight and I definitely regret it. Horrible shaking, vomiting, pressure, bloating, sweat/cold chills, etc. Time to chew on some Tums and drink a gallon of water
Read Also: How Do You Tell If Your Wrist Is Broken
When Constipation Is A Regular Problem
Regardless of what constipation treatment you use, give yourself enough time to sit on the toilet when you need to go. Holding in the urge can make your constipation worse. Set aside a regular time of the day when you know you’ll be left undisturbed for several minutes.
Also, don’t ignore the problem. Untreated constipation can lead to real problems, such as hemorrhoids and tears in the skin around the anus that make you bleed. If you strain too hard, you might even cause part of your intestines to push out through the anus — a condition called rectal prolapse that can sometimes require surgery.
National Digestive Diseases Information Clearinghouse : “Constipation.”
American Gastroenterological Association: “Understanding Constipation.”
American Academy of Family Physicians: “Constipation.”
Feldman M. Sleisenger and Fordtran’s Gastrointestinal and Liver Disease, 9th ed. Saunders Elsevier; 2010.
American Academy of Family Physicians: “Laxatives: OTC Products for Constipation.”
Legato MJ. Principles of Gender-Specific Medicine, Volume 1. Academic Press, 2009.
Cleveland Clinic: Constipation: Management and Treatment.â
UpToDate: âConstipation in adults .â
Johns Hopkins Medicine: â FODMAP diet: What You Need to Know.â
Harvard Health Publishing: âTry a FODMAPSs diet to manage irritable bowel syndrome.â âProbiotics may ease constipation.â
Mayo Clinic: âConstipation,â âPrebiotics, probiotics and your health.â
Use A Hot Pack To Get Rid Of Stomach Ache
Heat is mainly for relaxation, comfort and works effectively in the severe kind of pain like cramps, stiffness, and sensitivity. The word hot pack isnt truly means hot, just warm. Heating pack or hot pack will give you relief instantly when you will use. Heat helps in loosening and relaxed muscles. Heating pack or hot pack will surely help you to get rid of stomach pain.
- A hot pack or hot water bottle.
- Lie down on your bed comfortably.
- Keep the hot pack on your stomach for 20-30 minutes.
- You can use heat pack 2-3 times when its necessary.
Recommended Reading: How To Massage Shoulder Pain
Fiber Is Not Always The Answer
If adding fiber to your diet in the form of food orsupplements makes you more bloated and blocked than before, there are a numberof potential reasons. For example, in slow transit constipation, a conditionwhere the bowel does not move things quickly through, fiber sits in your gut andcan make you feel worse.
Long story short: If fiber makes you worse, dont just addmore. See your doctor.
Which Laxative Should I Use
It’s difficult to know whether a particular laxative will work better than another. It depends on the person.
Unless there’s a reason why a type of laxative may be more suitable for you than another:
- start with a bulk-forming laxative
- if your poo remains hard, try using an osmotic laxative in addition to, or instead of,;a bulk-forming laxative
- if your poo is soft but is still difficult to pass, try taking a stimulant laxative in addition to a bulk-forming laxative
Speak to a GP or pharmacist if you’re unsure which laxative to use.
Also see a GP if you’re still constipated after trying all of the different types of laxative, or you think your child might benefit from taking laxatives.
Home Remedies And Lifestyle Changes
The following tips may help to relieve or prevent constipation and other bowel problems:
- eating more fiber-rich foods, such as fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and legumes
- drinking plenty of water to stay hydrated
- exercising regularly
- taking probiotic supplements to encourage a healthy balance of bacteria in the gut
- not postponing bowel movements once the urge arises
- not rushing a bowel movement and making sure all of the stool passes from the body
- doing pelvic floor exercises to help bowel movements and prevent incontinence
For Serious Constipation There Are Options
If your constipation is severe and does not improve withchanges to your diet and lifestyle, there may be other options that you candiscuss with your doctor. Surgery is the very last option.
A wide range of laxatives are available, plus there arepro-motility drugs that a doctor can prescribe. Sometimes at-home remedies canbring relief, too, like dietary vegetable or mineral oil to lubricate thebowels.
Heres the bottom line: Try simple fixes first, but if theyfail, dont suffer needlessly. If you think your bowel movements are not whatyou would consider normal, discuss it first with your primary care physician, whocan talk with you about treatments or refer you to a specialist who can helpget your bowels moving again.
You May Like: Does Lidocaine Work For Nerve Pain
How Can Someone Get Rid Of Stomach Cramps Caused By Laxatives
Ask U.S. doctors your own question and get educational, text answers â it’s anonymous and free!
Ask U.S. doctors your own question and get educational, text answers â it’s anonymous and free!
HealthTap doctors are based in the U.S., board certified, and available by text or video.
Apple Cider Vinegar To Get Rid Of Stomach Pain
Here come the key solution to many of the health related problems apple cider vinegar. Apple cider vinegar works amazingly not only with stomach pain but with other health related problems as well. Using it is quite easy:
- Take a glass of water and boil it.
- When the water is lukewarm, add 1 tsp of apple cider vinegar.
- Add 1 tsp of honey as well.
- Now drink the solution.
Recommended Reading: What Causes Muscle Pain Between Shoulder Blades
Interaction With Other Medications
Among other medications, laxatives can interact with certain heart medications, antibiotics, and bone medications.
This information is often on the label. But to be safe, ask your doctor or pharmacist about the laxative youre considering and how it might interact with the other medications youve been prescribed.
Remedies And Treatments For Stomach Pain And Gas
Most stomach pain and gas will go away on its own, but there are steps you can take to ease discomfort and prevent future gas pain. Gas-related stomach pain remedies include:
The only way to get rid of gas is to pass it. Donât hold it in. If youâre worried about odor, try reducing foods that contain sulfur-producing compounds such as broccoli, cabbage, and beer.
Many gas-relieving products are marketed, but scientific evidence of their effectiveness is limited. Many people claim to experience relief, so they may be worth trying. The most common medications that claim to relieve immediate symptoms are activated charcoal and simethicone .
Peppermint and peppermint oil have the best record as digestive aids, but there are many other foods that may help.Â;In one study, Chinese herbal formulae outperformed placebos in soothing IBS symptoms. Commonly included ingredients are:
- Wearing ill-fitting dentures
Enzymes Before Eating Certain Foods
Taking enzymes before you eat can help you better digest your meal. Most enzymes are only available for those with a medical condition that prevents them from producing their own. However, two widely available enzymes for problematic foods are:
- Lactase supplements can help those who are lactose intolerant.
- Alpha-galactosidase supplements can help people digest legumes.
Read Also: Can You Have Carpal Tunnel In Your Feet