How To Diagnose And Treat Your Neck And Shoulder Pain
Your neck is made up of vertebrae that reach out from the skull to the upper torso. Mainly, cervical circles absorb the shock between the bones. The ligament, bones and muscles support the neck and help to allow the motion. If you face any injury or inflammation, then it can cause pain in the neck. You have to consult neck and back doctors right away.
How To Get Rid Of Stiff Neck In Less Than 90 Seconds
Living with Neck Pain in Santa Maria is terrible! We know, because we see hundreds of patients here on the central coast every month with just this issue!
Working on computers and staring down at our smartphones for hours each day has left over 20% of us experiencing neck pain over the past few months. A stiff neck is usually the result of postural issues that have tired the neck muscles over time. Weakened, or unbalanced, muscle strength can place additional stress on your spinal joints and lead to changes in how you move, extra pressure on your discs, and pain.
Why it Matters:
If you are looking down at your digital devices all day every day, the stress can add up and result in your neck not moving correctly. At this point, it’s only a matter of time before you wake up with a stiff neck or turn your head during the day and are greeted by an intense muscle discomfort or pain.
What Specialists Treat Shoulder And Neck Pain
Shoulder and neck pain is treated by primary care physicians, including general practitioners, internists, and family medicine doctors, as well as orthopedists, neurosurgeons, rheumatologists, neurologists, and physiatrists. Ancillary health care professionals who treat shoulder and neck pain include physical therapists and chiropractors.
- ECG: An electrocardiogram may be ordered if you also have chest pain, shortness of breath, and risk factors for a heart attack .
- Blood tests: These may be performed if you also have chest pain, shortness of breath, and risk factors for a heart attack or if your doctor suspects an underlying illness as the cause of the pain.
- CT scan: This may be performed when X-rays are difficult to read or suggest a fracture, when more detail is needed, or when other structures are suspected to be the source of the pain .
- MRI: An MRI is often not indicated during an initial evaluation but can be helpful in assessing ongoing pain and failure to respond to basic treatment measures.
Also Check: Diarrhea And Neck Pain
How To Ease Daily Annoying Irritating Neck And Shoulder Pain Naturally Without Medications
When it comes to living with Neck Stiffness / Pain or Shoulder Pain, everybody we see want to know
- Why is this happening to me?
- Why am I still suffering of chronic neck and shoulder pain/ stiffness after six months or more?
Most people think Shoulder or Neck Pain and stiffness will resolve on its own. They will wake up one morning and like magic, it will be gone. However, six months later not only has this nagging pain/ stiffness not improved but also it gets worse than it was at the onset.
Create An Ergonomic Workplace
Many people work at a computer desk for eight hours each day. This can contribute to a stiff neck, as well as other ailments. Here are some ways to prevent a stiff neck at work:
- Adjust your chair into a comfortable position with your feet flat on the floor and your knees a bit lower than your hips.
- Use ergonomic posture while sitting, with your back straight and your arms level to the desk.
- Adjust your computer so that its at eye level.
- Use an ergonomic keyboard and mouse.
- Stand up to stretch and move every hour.
You May Like: Can You Die From Slitting Wrist
Gallstones Or Enlarged Gallbladder
Pain in your right shoulder can be a sign of a gallstone blocking a duct in your gallbladder. You may also feel pain in your back between your shoulder blades. The pain may be sudden and sharp.
You may or may not feel the more common symptoms of gallstones or gallbladder inflammation. These are:
- sudden pain in your upper right abdomen
- pain in the center of your abdomen, below your breast bone
- nausea or vomiting
Therapeutic Exercise For Neck Pain
Exercises to stretch and strengthen the neck, shoulder, and upper back muscles can speed recovery from a painful neck condition and possibly reduce flare-ups, although the evidence for this is not ironclad. Dr. Shmerling encourages his patients to see a physical therapist for guided therapeutic exercise. Here is what the therapist can offer:
- Therapy will likely combine isometric and range-of-motion exercises. In isometric exercise, you tighten the neck muscles against an opposing forcesuch as your own hand, which you “push against” with your neck muscles. Range-of-motion stretches attempt to progressively relax and lengthen the neck muscles.
- Physical therapists can offer other therapies that, while not proven in research trials, seem to offer some people ease and comfort. One option is ultrasound treatment of the sore tissues with high-frequency sound waves.
- A physical therapist can also perform traction, using the hands or special equipment to gently stretch the neck muscles. You can also get equipment by prescription to perform neck traction at home but follow the therapist’s instructions carefully.
Finally, take inventory of your posture or daily habits that could trigger neck pain, like sitting for extended periods in positions that strain the neck during reading, TV watching, computer work, or sleeping. Attending to the cause may stop some flare-ups of neck pain at the source.
Recommended Reading: Fake Broken Arm
When To See A Doctor
When people experience neck and shoulder pain with no apparent reason, they should see a doctor, who can examine the cause.
If over-the-counter pain medication is not effective, people can also speak with a medical professional for a diagnosis and treatment plan.
In those with simultaneous neck and shoulder pain, doctors may find it challenging to differentiate between a shoulder or neck issue.
In these cases, doctors will need to take a thorough medical history and complete a full physical examination. Some people may require medical imaging.
Other tools doctors may use to diagnose neck and shoulder pain include electromyography and selective nerve root injections.
Stretch Your Neck And Shoulders
Tilt your head to one side and at the same time drop the opposite shoulder. Hold this stretch for 30 seconds, making sure the stretch doesn’t hurt but just using the weight of your head to ease out tension. Repeat on the other side. Next, look squarely over one shoulder then the other. Hold for 30 seconds on each side.
Read Also: Dr Victor Bonuel
Does That Ever Happen To You
The reason you’re confused is that different people have told you different things. For example, you may believe you have a neck problem, but in fact, it’s your shoulder aggravating the pain. Because shoulder and neck pain are challenging to diagnose, many people just conclude that they have to accept the pain as a part of life, as if it has to be that way.
What Are The Things That Can Help Resolve Shoulder And Neck Pain
- 1. First, make sure you want to get help. It will not go away on its own.
- 2. Next Off, Do The RIGHT Workouts – When you have neck and shoulder pain, the best thing you can do is do the right series of progressive exercises. The correct exercises will help reduce pain and allow you to move freely again quickly, ensuring that the problems do not reappear.
- 3.Avoid sitting and doing activities in awkward positions the single worst thing that can aggravate neck and shoulder pain is being static all day. As our bodies were designed to move, avoid sitting for long periods and sleeping in awkward positions – this will prevent you from waking up with a stiff neck or tight shoulders. In addition, having appropriate strengthening exercises coupled with hands-on treatment would help tremendously. By doing this, you will become as active and healthy as quickly as possible.
- 4. Get real, hands-on Physio – The use of physiotherapy is proven to be effective for neck and shoulder pain. At Nose Creek Physiotherapy, it is one of the most frequent issues we see. For example, suppose your neck or shoulder pain interrupts your sleep. In that case, if it prevents you from keeping active, or if your discomfort gets in the way of enjoying time with family and friends, physiotherapy can certainly work for you and give you back the life you deserve.
You May Like: Sore Stomach Early Pregnancy
Stretch But Avoid Sudden Movements
Stretching can help relieve the pain and stiffness, and prevent it in the future. Its important to stretch gently and slowly. Sudden movements can cause more inflammation, pain, and a more serious injury. Apply a heating pad or take a warm shower before stretching.
- Roll your shoulders backward and then forward in a circle.
- Press your shoulder blades together and hold the position for a few seconds, then repeat.
- Slowly turn your head from side to side.
Five Quick Fixes For Neck Pain
Neck pain can be experienced in many different ways. Whether its a stiff neck, a muscle spasm or a deep throbbing ache, neck pain interrupts your life and keeps you from doing the things you love.
Thankfully, a little bit of neck pain doesnt mean you have to bow out of an upcoming family gathering or a fun activity with friends. Here are five quick fixes that can help if your neck hurts.
Also Check: Why Does Pineapple Hurt My Stomach
Posture And Sleeping Position
Holding your neck in an awkward position for a prolonged time can lead to strains in the muscles and tendons of your neck and shoulders.
Some of the postures and activities that commonly contribute to neck and shoulder pain are:
- sleeping on too high a pillow or a stack of pillows
- grinding or clenching your teeth at night
- sitting at a computer or over a phone with your neck strained forward or tilted up
- suddenly jerking your neck during exercise
Ultimate Solution: A Gravity Inversion Table
The ultimate solution to chronic neck pain and stiffness, bad back, and general stress related chronic pain is, of course, the gravity inversion table. The bottom line is, if we have to reduce over-curvature, compression, and tightness in the whole skeleton, this can most easily and pleasantly be achieved in a completely passive way with gentle anti-gravity traction as shown in the next video.
Read Also: Lidocaine Pain Patch Narcotic
Where Your Neck Should Be
Anatomically, the skull is supported by the Atlas centrally somewhere between the ears, in line with the central line of gravity. Then, when you look up, keep your neck long as shown above. Doesn’t that look much better? Slowly do the following “yes, “no” and “maybe” exercise to achieve this.
You can do these moves daily under the shower or when brushing your teeth. No Pain, Just Gain!
How To Relieve Neck Pain: 3 Ways To Relieve Neck And Shoulder Pain
If youre experiencing neck pain, youre not alone. Between 20% and 70% of adults in the US will experience neck pain thatll disrupt some aspects of their lives. Few things are quite as unpleasant as incessant neck pain, especially when nothing seems to make it go away. For many people, common treatments like ice pads, painkillers, and ointments that work for other types of pain are ineffective for their neck pain.Were here to help with the following pain relief solutions for your neck and shoulders.What Causes Neck Pain?Most cases of acute neck and shoulder pain are a result of tendon and muscle strains or ligament sprains. These strains and sprains may talk a few days or weeks to heal. Other common causes of neck pain include:Trauma: Physical trauma such as whiplash from an accident or a sports injury can cause neck and shoulder pain.Awkward sleeping positions: If you sleep without proper head and neck support, youre likely to suffer from neck pain.Poor posture: Hunching or slouching for extended periods can place extra stress on your neck which can result in neck strain or ligament sprains. Its a good idea to be aware of your posture when working or using digital devices.
Read Also: Lidoderm Patch Sciatica
The Source Of Neck And Shoulder Pain
Its important to understand that feeling discomfort in the neck or shoulder doesnt necessarily mean that the source of pain itself stems from that same region. Neck pain could be caused by a shoulder impingement, and pain in the shoulder could be stemming from the neck. In fact, tension in either area could be sparked by an injury or alignment issue in the back of the pelvis, or even from as low down as the ankles.
Suffering from a sore neck, back and shoulders? Get our mobility guide to ease pain and soreness.Get The FREE Mobility Guide To Fix Your Pain Today!
This is because the entire back side of the body is connected via a thin webbing of connective tissue , known as the superficial back line. Running from your forehead up and over the crown of the head, down the length of the spine and the back of the legs to the bottom of your feet, this fascial line is responsible for extending the body and keeping you in an upright position.
Yet because this fascia is all connected, a dysfunction anywhere in the body along this line could lead to pain in another area. For example, incorrect pelvic positioning can lead to misalignment in the low back, which can continue up the thoracic spine, affecting the position and stability of the shoulder, and ultimately causing neck pain .
Ways To Avoid Neck And Shoulder Pain When Working From Home
These days, more people than ever are working from home, either temporarily due to social distancing , or permanently as a remote professional. If youve found yourself and your laptop at the kitchen table or at a makeshift desk, do what you can to make your workspace as supportive and comfortable as it can be. After all, you dont want working from home to be a pain in the neck or shoulders.
You May Like: Lidocaine Long Term Side Effects
Three Common Causes Of Neck And Shoulder Pain You Can Find Relief At Home
Dealing with neck and shoulder pain isnt easy. From strains due to overused muscles to wear and tear to arthritis, various conditions can trigger pain in the neck and shoulders. Additionally, since the two are connected, aches can travel from the neck to the shoulders and vice versa. The pain can also travel to other areas of the body, such as your back and knees.
Understanding the cause of your neck and shoulder pain is just as crucial as finding pain relief solutions. This blog covers some of the common causes of pain and how you can get rid of the discomfort.
How Can You Treat Your Neck And Shoulder Pain
Doctors recommend an anti-inflammatory medication like ibuprofen- Advil, Mortin and naproxen- Aleve, Naprosyn.
They also suggest some painkillers like acetaminophen .
Muscle relaxers and antidepressants may help the patient based on their source of pain.
Patients can use heat or ice packs to the specific area of pain.
Doctors recommend local corticosteroid injections for patients who have arthritis in the shoulder.
You can do exercise to reduce neck and shoulder pain. In some cases, you have to go through some surgical processes.
If you feel any type of pain in your neck and shoulder, do not hesitate to consult with our pain clinic to reduce the pain. Please reach us at Neuroscience Specialists for neck and back doctors in OKC to lessen your pain.
Don’t Miss: Upper Body Workout With Broken Wrist
Dr K Daniel Riew On Technology
Save this to read later.
You see it everywhere. In homes and offices, while walking down the street, riding the bus, or standing in line. Tech neck, the act of stressing muscles while using phones, tablets, and computers, resulting in neck and shoulder pain, stiffness, and soreness, is a problem thats getting worse.
Last year, Americans spent a daily average of 5 hours and 53 minutes with digital media, including 3 hours, 17 minutes a day on non-voice activities on mobile devices a jump of more than an hour since 2013, according to eMarketer.
The result? Headaches, neck spasms, and creaky shoulder joints, caused by holding ones neck still for long periods, says K. Daniel Riew, M.D., director of cervical spine surgery and co-director of spine surgery in the department of orthopedic surgery at the NewYork-Presbyterian Och Spine Hospital. Here, Dr. Riew breaks down the causes and symptoms of tech neck and offers ways to correctly and safely align the body while using mobile phones, computers, and other digital media devices.
So how should you sit? A better way to sit is with the chair reclining 25-30 degrees with a good lumbar support to prevent slouching. In this position, the discs in the back, as well as the neck, are subjected to much lower forces than in an upright position, and the muscles in the back of the neck no longer have to contract to hold your head up.
Dr. K. Daniel Riew
How Do You Sleep
Certain sleeping conditions can give you a stiff neck. Make sure you dont sleep in a cold draft as this will cause your neck muscles to contract during sleep. Avoid pillows that take the neck out of its neutral alignment. For example, if you are on your right side and the pillow is too large, the neck is vulnerable to being pushed too far towards the left shoulder. Then you might wake up with a stiff neck. Your pillow should be firm and no thicker than the space needed for your head to lie flat on its ear without curving up the other side of the neck.
To train yourself for a better sleeping position you may first want to learn how to meditate in a horizontal position on the floor. Lie on the floor on your back and simply allow gravity to straighten you out while you relax. Close your eyes and meditate as shown in the illustration below.
You can stay there for as long as you like to relax and meditate.
You May Like: Naproxen Stiff Neck