Gabapentin Causing Muscle Pain And Cramps
Has anyone ever had the experience of Gabapentin causing severe muscle cramps in arms and legs and muscular pain and feeling of weakness? I know it is supposed to basically do the opposite and help with muscular problemsbut this has happened twice to me as soon as I started the gaba and it was very severe,
I took Gabapentin for quite a while and had my doctor up the dosage. You go on it in steps and come down off of it in steps. The higher dose made my breathing difficult and I called my doctor about it. She had me come down off of it and then I decided to go off completely. I dont think it ever really helped me. I took CBD for a while with good results for my pain issues but that didnt last. Ive tried everything and now the last and final is going to be meditation. This is something that makes a lot of sense. I was on oxycodone for a couple of years and that worked great but you have to up the dosage every few months and of course that eventually kills you one way or another.
Look at a meditation site. People have had good results. Doesnt work for everyone but worth a good try. I am on, curablehealth.com Just started last week and am taking it slowly so as to understand throughly. Good luck and let me know.
Lack Of Efficacy In Gabapentin Pain Management
I havent seen a case where gabapentin really made a difference in pain management. So why exactly is the veterinary community prescribing this drug, which
- Has caused deleterious side effects in humans
- Was part of the largest pharmaceutical fraud settlements in history
- Has no FDA approval for the conditions its used to treat
- Hasnt been effective in any double-blind placebo-controlled trials
- May actually prevent the nervous system from repairing itself
But there are other things you can give your dog to bring him pain relief without changing his personality or creating a constant state of listlessness.
Cautions With Gabapentin For Dogs
There are several reasons to be very wary of giving gabapentin to your dog.
- Use of gabapentin in dogs is not FDA-approved but vets still frequently prescribe it to manage various types of pain including pain from intervertebral disc disease, as well as other conditions like anxiety, idiopathic epilepsy and seizures in dogs.
- The kidneys and liver are needed for the metabolism of gabapentin so it should be avoided by dogs with liver or kidney disease.
- Pregnant or nursing dogs, or dogs taking antacids, hydrocodone or morphine should not take it to avoid drug interactions.
- Most dogs develop tolerance over time when trying to get chronic pain relief so they need higher doses of gabapentin. The risk of side effects increases along with the dose of gabapentin, of course. This makes it easy to overdose and increase side effects and the cycle continues.
Recommended Reading: Stomach Hurts Early Pregnancy
Secondary Outcome: Proportion Of Responders
Response to gabapentin was defined as 0.3-point change in PAGI-SYM score or subscore. 52% of patients responded based on total score. 61% responded based on the change in postprandial fullness, 60% based on upper abdominal pain and 52% based on nausea/vomiting.
The change in postprandial fullness implies that gabapentin may affect gastric accommodation and motility, just as it improves rectal compliance in patients with inflammatory bowel syndrome.
Patients on an antidepressant were less likely to respond to gabapentin than other patients .
Warning Disclaimer Use For Publication
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only. Our phase IV clinical studies alone cannot establish cause-effect relationship. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.
Also Check: When Do Stomach Cramps Start In Pregnancy
Safe Alternatives To Gabapentin For Dogs
When I get dogs off of gabapentin, I use many different natural options for pain management. Theyre much safer and more effective alternatives to gabapentin a drug that has NO scientific evidence or FDA approval to back it up.
Some of the best options for pain management in dogs are:
- Chinese herbs
Instructions For Using The Dosing Syringe With Gabapentin Rosemont Oral Solution
You May Like: Is It Painful To Cut Your Wrist
Serious Side Effects Of Gabapentin
Gabapentin may cause serious side effects, which require immediate medical care. One of the most dangerous side effects is a serious allergic reaction. You may have an allergy or become allergic to gabapentin over time, which may trigger anaphylaxis. Symptoms include swelling of the lips, mouth, face, nose, or tongue, as well as hives, difficulty breathing, and skin rashes. If left untreated, it may result to shock and blockage of the airways, so you must be brought to the doctor right away if you have these symptoms.
Another serious and common side effect of gabapentin is worsening symptoms. Some people need a higher dose of gabapentin to relieve symptoms. Monitor for things such as changes in one’s mood or behavior, anxiety, depression, agitation, hostility, hyperactivity , trouble concentrating, and restlessness. These symptoms may mean that your doctor has to adjust your gabapentin dose.
Rarely, gabapentin may cause serious drug reactions. Drug reactions with eosinophilia and systemic symptoms may present symptoms such as fever, rash, and inflammation of the heart, liver, kidneys, and muscles. Meanwhile, Stevens-Johnson syndrome causes the appearance of a red or purple rash that spreads, and cause painful blistering or peeling of the skin, along with fever, sore throat, swelling of the face or tongue, and burning pain in the eyes. These symptoms require immediate care.
Watch out for the symptoms in children taking gabapentin. They include:
- Changes in behavior
So What Is Gabapentin
Gabapentin is an active ingredient in Neurontin, and has a similar structure to that of a GABA neurotransmitter, although it neither binds with nor works against GABA receptors. It has a central nervous system-inhibitory mechanism, which is used to treat hyperalgesia and allodynia felt due to chronic nerve pain or in other cases, epilepsy. Although it is not FDA-approved, this drug is commonly prescribed by veterinarians for the treatment of pets in monitored dosages.
Don’t Miss: Stomach Pains Pregnancy Symptom
You’re Having Difficulty Breathing
Gabapentin should not be taken with other medicines that can cause sedation, including Benadryl, sleep aids, muscle relaxants and most definitely not with alcohol because of the potential risk of respiratory depression. Even cough syrup, says Patel.
It should also be noted, that you should talk to your doctor if you’re taking gabapentin and are pregnant or are considering pregnancy gabapentin’s side effects in pregnancy have not been well-researched.
Gabapentin In Veterinary Medicine
Most dogs are prescribed gabapentin to treat chronic pain associated with arthritis and cancer as well as neural and post-operative pain. Its often prescribed alongside NSAIDs or opiates. Its thought to amplify their effect on pain management despite potential side effects.
But heres why its not such a good medication to be giving your dog.
2008 was one of the earliest references I could find to Gabapentin in veterinary medicine. There was a short article on Veterinary Information Network , revised in 2017. Thats right. Despite the 2004 and 2009 settlements against Pfizer in 2008 the drug showed up in the veterinary community being prescribed for pain, anxiety in dogs and seizures.
This is what the recent Plumbs Veterinary Drugs had to say:
- Caution in renal failure or insufficiency
- Extra-label use in seizures in dogs evidence to support use is relatively weak
- Extra-label use as an adjunctive analgesic: Evidence to support use strengthens in recent years may be effective in some dogs, for chronic pain in dogs with a neuropathic component
Note the cautious language: may be, some dogs, extra-label. Theres not much confidence in its effectiveness. Other veterinary articles not research studies stated some interesting tidbits:
You May Like: Does Lidocaine Work For Nerve Pain
Can I Take Gabapentin If Im Pregnant Or Breastfeeding
It is not known whether this medicine will harm an unborn baby. Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant.
Seizure control is very important during pregnancy, and having a seizure could harm both mother and baby. Do not start or stop taking gabapentin for seizures without your doctor’s advice, and tell your doctor right away if you become pregnant.
If you are pregnant, your name may be listed on a pregnancy registry to track the effects of gabapentin on the baby.
It may not be safe to breastfeed while using this medicine. Ask your doctor about any risk.
Drugs And Foods To Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Some medicines can affect how gabapentin works. Tell your doctor if you also use any of the following:
Don’t Miss: Can Blueberries Give You Diarrhea
Serious Gabapentin Side Effects
Serious gabapentin side effects can be threatening to one’s health, so it should be used with doctors supervision. Some of its side effects include aggressive and suicidal behavior. Gabapentin is a drug prescribed to treat certain types of seizures and manage pain caused by nerve problems. It is an anticonvulsant drug and used to treat symptoms caused by problems in the nerves. You need to have a prescription before buying gabapentin.
Like many drugs used for convulsions, gabapentin is known to cause an increased risk of suicidal behavior. The reason for this is unknown, but it is clear that patients taking the drug have higher incidences of suicidal thoughts compared to individuals not taking the drug. Therefore, gabapentin should be used with care and the patient taking it should be monitored at all times. Note that this side effect of the drug is rare.
Have a question about
Another important side effect of gabapentin is the worsening of symptoms it is indicated for. This is often troubling to new patients and their families. Some patients really need to take higher doses of gabapentin than others. Since doctors usually start at the lowest dose, some patients inevitably experience symptoms.
Another side effect to note for is somnolence and loss of body coordination. Gabapentin may cause irresistible somnolence, fatigue, and inability to control body movements. This side effect may occur in roughly 1 out of 5 individuals taking gabapentin.
Serious Allergic Reactions Involving Organs
Horizant can cause serious allergic reactions involving certain organs, such as the heart, kidneys, and liver. Symptoms of such allergic reactions include fever, rash, severe muscle pain, swelling of the face, and yellowing of the skin or white part of the eyes. Let your provider know right away or seek immediate medical attention if you notice any of these symptoms while taking Horizant .
Don’t Miss: Is It Painful To Cut Your Wrist
Gabapentin Zentiva 300 Mg Capsules
GABAPENTIN ZENTIVA 100MG, 300MG & 400MG CAPSULES
PACKAGE LEAFLET: INFORMATION FOR THE USER
GABAPENTIN ZENTIVA 100MG, 300MG & 400MG CAPSULES
Read all of this leaflet carefully before you start taking this medicine because it contains important information for you.
- Keep this leaflet. You may need to read it again.
- If you have any further questions, ask your doctor or pharmacist.
- This medicine has been prescribed for you only. Do not pass it on to others. It may harm them, even if their signs of illness are the same as yours.
- If you get any side effects talk to your doctor or pharmacist. This includes any possible side effects not listed in this leaflet. See section 4.
What is in this leaflet
1 What gabapentin is and what it is used for2. What you need to know before you take gabapentin3. How to take gabapentin4.Possible side effects5.How to store gabapentin6.Contents of the pack and other information
1. WHAT GABAPENTIN IS AND WHAT IT IS USED FOR
This medicine is called Gabapentin Zentiva and it contains the active substance Gabapentin .
Gabapentin belongs to a group of medicines used to treat epilepsy and peripheral neuropathic pain .
Gabapentin is used to treat:
2. WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW BEFORE YOU TAKE GABAPENTIN
Do not take gabapentin
- if you are allergic to the active substance of this medicine or to any of the other ingredients of this medicine .
Warnings and precautions
There is no effect on fertility in animal studies.
Driving and using machines
Adults and adolescents
Are There Any Risk Factors For This Medication
Pets that are allergic to gabapentin should not take this medication. Use cautiously in pets with kidney disease, or pets that are pregnant and/or lactating. Do not stop this medication abruptly in pets with epilepsy, as this can cause withdrawal seizures.
Some liquid oral formulations contain xylitol, a sugar substitute that is toxic to dogs, so be cautious and read the label before administering. Never give any medication to dogs that contains xylitol as an ingredient.
Don’t Miss: Why Do People Cut There Wrist
Interactions Between Horizant And Other Medications
Horizant may interact with certain medications or supplements. Always let your doctor and pharmacist know about any other medications or supplements that you are currently taking. The list below does not include all possible drug interactions with Horizant . Please note that only the generic name of each medication is listed below.
Using this medicine with any of the following medicines is usually not recommended, but may be required in some cases. If both medicines are prescribed together, your doctor may change the dose or how often you use one or both of the medicines.
Using this medicine with any of the following medicines may cause an increased risk of certain side effects, but using both drugs may be the best treatment for you. If both medicines are prescribed together, your doctor may change the dose or how often you use one or both of the medicines.
- Aluminum Carbonate, Basic
What Is Gabapentin Approved For
Gabapentin is used to:
- Prevent and control partial seizures. Gabapentin can be used in adults and children age 3 and older who have partial seizures.
- Relieve nerve pain following shingles in adults.Shingles is a painful rash that develops many years after you’ve had chickenpox. The virus that causes chickenpox stays dormant in a portion of your spinal nerve root called the dorsal root ganglion. For whatever reason, this otherwise dormant virus gets reactivated usually by stress causing a shingles rash. Nerve pain following a case of shingles is called postherpetic neuralgia .
- Treat moderate-too-severe primary restless legs syndrome.
The branded gabapentin products Neurontin and Gralise are approved for partial seizures and PHN. The branded gabapentin enacarbil product Horizant is approved for restless legs syndrome and PHN.
You May Like: Can A Stiff Neck Cause Nausea
The 5 False Facts Your Doctor Mistakenly Promotes Can Gabapentin Cause Stomach Pain
The medical community is largely responsible for this misinformation being passed on to the suffering patient. In my view it is the job and responsibility of the family doctor to teach the patient about their neuropathy problem. It is also the doctors job to train the patient in what they can do to improve and manage their neuropathy case successfully.
Many neuropathy patients, suffering with foot or hand pain, tingling, numbness, burning, and other evasive and hard to describe neuropathy symptoms, dont even know the name of their condition! And while others do, that is essentially all they know. With this in mind I want to address some of the most commonly INCORRECT facts that suffering neuropathy patients have been told, or come to understand, due to the lack of patient education by the medical community.
1. Neuropathy comes with age, and there is nothing you can do about it.This statement is only partially correct, inasmuch as aging can contribute to the increased onset and intensity of the neuropathy condition. There are however, many simple techniques and procedures that any person can learn which will offset many of these effects of aging as they relate to peripheral neuropathy.
4. Neuropathy just gets worse with time, and you have to accept that you are stuck with it.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have kidney problems or are receiving dialysis. Tell your doctor if you have a history of depression or mental health problems.
- This medicine may increase depression or thoughts of suicide. Tell your doctor right away if you start to feel more depressed or think about hurting yourself.
- This medicine may cause a serious allergic reaction called multiorgan hypersensitivity, which can damage organs and be life-threatening.
- Do not stop using this medicine suddenly. Your doctor will need to slowly decrease your dose before you stop it completely. If you take this medicine to prevent seizures, your seizures may return or occur more often if you stop this medicine suddenly.
- This medicine may make you dizzy or drowsy. Do not drive or do anything else that could be dangerous until you know how this medicine affects you.
- Tell any doctor or dentist who treats you that you are using this medicine. This medicine may affect certain medical test results.
- Your doctor will check your progress and the effects of this medicine at regular visits. Keep all appointments.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Don’t Miss: Fever And Neck Pain In Adults